AMD Catalyst Display Driver for Windows 8 Release Preview
Feature highlights of the AMD Catalyst feature preview driver for the Windows 8 Release Preview:
Featuring support for the new WDDM 1.2 driver model, this new driver enables customers to utilize the modelís features as applications are updated to leverage them. These features include:
- Support for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, and the AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.
- Native Stereo 3D support: Windows 8 natively supports stereoscopic 3D gaming and videos via compatible applications. Middleware applications will not be required for such apps.
- Unified Video API: Video playback has been integrated into the DirectX 11 API, enabling simultaneous video and gaming content. Transcoding performance may also be improved for supporting applications.
- Optimized screen rotation for rotation-aware devices.
- Improved sleep/resume performance.
- Optimized GPU power consumption.
- Support for AMD Features:
- AMD Eyefinity
- AMD Dual Graphics/AMD CrossFire Technology
- AMD Overdrive
- AMD Catalyst Control Center/Vision Engine Control Center
Known issues found in the AMD Catalyst feature preview for Windows 8 (these issues will be addressed in the AMD production release for Windows 8).
- AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and the AMD Radeon HD 7700 performance in DirectX 9 applications may be slower under Windows 8 vs. Windows 7.
- AMD CrossFireX configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and the AMD Radeon HD 7700 in DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 applications may be slower under Windows 8 vs. Windows 7.
- AMD CrossFireX configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and the AMD Radeon HD 7700 in OpenCL accelerated applications may cause a BSOD or system hang.
- Blacklight Retribution (DirectX11 mode) played with a CrossFire configuration may result in a system crash when launching the application (32-bit OS only).
- Video corruption can be seen when playing back movie trailers with Metro video player.
- AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
- AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
- AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
- AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
- AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
- AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series
- AMD Radeon HD 6000M Series
- AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
- AMD A-Series APU
- AMD C-Series APU
- AMD E-Series APU
- AMD FirePro V9800
- AMD FirePro V7900
- AMD FirePro V7900 SDI
- AMD FirePro V7800P
- AMD FirePro V5900
- AMD FirePro V4900
- AMD FirePro V3900
- ATI FirePro V9800
- ATI FirePro V8800
- ATI FirePro V7800
- ATI FirePro V5800
- ATI FirePro V5800 DVI
- ATI FirePro V4800
- ATI FirePro V3800
- AMD FirePro 2270
- ATI FirePro 2460 Multi-View
- AMD FirePro M8900
- AMD FirePro M5950
- AMD FirePro M3900
- ATI FirePro M7820
- ATI FirePro M5800
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 8 32-bit Edition
- Windows 8 64-bit Edition
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.