- supports oodles of audio and video formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built)
- supports many image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF as well as image sequences
- no import required - native editing
- frame-accurate seeking for many formats
- multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
- screen capture (Linux only) including background capture to capture a Shotcut session
- webcam capture (Linux only)
- audio capture (Linux only; PulseAudio, JACK, or ALSA)
- network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
- frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- JACK transport sync
- detailed media properties panel
- recent files panel
- drag-n-drop files from file manager
- save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- audio signal level meter
- volume control
- scrubbing and transport control
- flexible UI through dock-able panels
- encode/transcode to a variety of formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built)
- capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK, PulseAudio, IP streams, X11 screen
- stream (encode to IP) files and any capture source
- batch encoding with job control
- create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML playlists
- unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- connect to Melted servers over MVCP TCP protocol
- control the transport playback of Melted units
- edit Melted playlists including suport for undo/redo
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing
- multi-core parallel image processing when not using GPU (and frame-dropping is disabled)
- video filters: Blur, Color Grading, Crop, Glow, Mirror, Saturation, Sharpen
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- translated to Spanish, French, Czech, and German
- Fixed color accuracy of lossless/Ut Video preset and use yuv422p format
- Fixed number of digits for seconds in the Timer video filter when using Format > MM:SS.SS.
- Fixed compositing completely transparent areas of alpha channel darkens output.
- Fixed some generators (Color Bars, Ising, Lissajous, Plasma) not working correctly in Timeline.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor > DeckLink/Intensity can stall when Settings > Realtime is enabled.
- Fixed making project folder if a parent folder does not exist.
- Fixed New Project > Start does not save a .mlt file until you open media and save.
- Fixed launch on some Linux (e.g. gentoo) by including libselinux .
- Fixed crash when undo Playlist > Remove All.
- Fixed auto-saved file not removed when save and exit with no changes.
- Fixed the color accuracy of the Color generator.
- Fixed numeric locale bug in the Audio Spectrum Visualization and Audio Waveform Visualization filters.
- Fixed clip reloaded when leaving Properties > Speed with no change.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor on Windows screen.
- Fixed launch crash on Linux with (Csound) csladspa < 6.11.1 installed.
Changes and Improvements
- Improved color accuracy of internal RGB-to-YUV conversions.
- Changed Quality to 100% when using the intermediate/ProRes preset.
- Added 16:9, 9:16, and 1:1 aspect ratios for transition wipes.
- Moved Properties > Reverse... from the overflow menu to a button.
- Changed Properties > Reverse... to use project folder if used.
- When Reverse job completes, automatically open it and add it to the Playlist
- Start playback from the beginning if you play when the play head is at the end.
- Improved speed of the Text and Timer video filters.
- Added View > Scopes > Video Histogram
Added Preset to some more filters:
- Audio Gain/Volume
- Added Preset and simple and advanced keyframes to the Balance and Pan audio filters.
- Added a Levels video filter with simple and advanced keyframes!
- Added Properties > Color Range for video clips.
Replace the Mask video filter with 3 new filters:
- Mask: Simple Shape
- Mask: From File
- Mask: Apply
The new Mask: Apply filter makes it possible to mask filters without using multiple tracks! Use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to start the filter mask followed the video filters to be masked followed by Mask: Apply to apply the mask to the filters in between. Filters before or after the mask filters affect the entire video frame. One can still use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to affect the alpha channel for multitrack compositing as before. This makes them compatible with existing information and tutorials that suggest using multiple tracks as well as enabling collage/montage or transition effects when the tracks do not use the same clip.
The new Mask: From File is a powerful new video filter offering 3 modes:
- wipe transition (stock or custom)
- Channel > Brightness from a video or image file (File > Custom...)
- Channel > Alpha from a video or image file. Moreover, Threshold can be animated with simple or keyframes, which is especially nice when used with luma-wipe image files (stock or custom). Not only can you wipe on a masked filter but also you can use this as an alternative way to make a wipe transition using multiple tracks (instead of same track transition).
Apps similar to Shotcut 4
Import and freely combine any type of video media, from video shot on a phone to raw 5K, and then edit natively without wasting time transcoding. The ultimate toolset for video professionals, Adobe Premiere Pro is a powerful, customizable, nonlinear editor that lets you edit video precisely the way you want.
- Free to Try
Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 sets new standards for digital filmmaking, offering a format-independent plug-and edit solution that provides the tightest integration with Adobe After Effects and Adobe Photoshop.