Shotcut supports a wide range of formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg. There's no import required meaning native timeline editing, Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring, and resolution support up to 4k.
Other features include screen, webcam and audio capture. Network stream playback. Supports capture from SDI, HDMI, webcam, JACK & Pulse audio, IP stream, X11 screen and Windows DirectShow devices. Multiple dockable and undockable panels, including detailed media properties, recent files with search, playlist with thumbnail view, filter panel, history view, encoding panel, jobs queue, and melted server and playlist. Also supports drag-n-drop of assets from file manager.
- supports oodles of audio and video formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built)
- supports many image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF as well as image sequences
- no import required - native editing
- frame-accurate seeking for many formats
- multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
- screen capture (Linux only) including background capture to capture a Shotcut session
- webcam capture (Linux only)
- audio capture (Linux only; PulseAudio, JACK, or ALSA)
- network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
- frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- JACK transport sync
- detailed media properties panel
- recent files panel
- drag-n-drop files from file manager
- save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- audio signal level meter
- volume control
- scrubbing and transport control
- flexible UI through dock-able panels
- encode/transcode to a variety of formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built)
- capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK, PulseAudio, IP streams, X11 screen
- stream (encode to IP) files and any capture source
- batch encoding with job control
- create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML playlists
- unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- connect to Melted servers over MVCP TCP protocol
- control the transport playback of Melted units
- edit Melted playlists including suport for undo/redo
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing
- multi-core parallel image processing when not using GPU (and frame-dropping is disabled)
- video filters: Blur, Color Grading, Crop, Glow, Mirror, Saturation, Sharpen
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- translated to Spanish, French, Czech, and German
Replace the Mask video filter with 3 new filters:
- Mask: Simple Shape
- Mask: From File
- Mask: Apply
The new Mask: Apply filter makes it possible to mask filters without using multiple tracks! Use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to start the filter mask followed the video filters to be masked followed by Mask: Apply to apply the mask to the filters in between. Filters before or after the mask filters affect the entire video frame. One can still use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to affect the alpha channel for multitrack compositing as before. This makes them compatible with existing information and tutorials that suggest using multiple tracks as well as enabling collage/montage or transition effects when the tracks do not use the same clip.
The new Mask: From File is a powerful new video filter offering 3 modes:
- wipe transition (stock or custom)
- Channel > Brightness from a video or image file (File > Custom...)
- Channel > Alpha from a video or image file. Moreover, Threshold can be animated with simple or keyframes, which is especially nice when used with luma-wipe image files (stock or custom). Not only can you wipe on a masked filter but also you can use this as an alternative way to make a wipe transition using multiple tracks (instead of same track transition).
- Fixed the file dialogs in various filters not opening on macOS.
- Fixed setting color alpha (opacity) to 0 in Open Other > Color and Open Other > Text.
- Fixed a possible crash when using Center bias in the Crop: Source filter.
- Text: Rich Video Filter
- Fixed incorrect font size in export on Windows when the system Settings > Display > Scale and layout is higher than 100% (High DPI).
- Fixed problems when Export > Video > Parallel processing is on.
- Added collapse & expand buttons to the editor’s toolbar.
- Added an Overflow parameter to allow text longer (taller) than the rectangle.
- Added Paste Text Only to the editor’s menu to facilitate pasting from a word processor or web browser without applying the source formatting.
- Fixed the Scroll Up and Scroll Down presets when the background is not transparent.
- Added a Lower Third preset to Text: Rich.
- Fixed the actual workspace layout may not match the currently selected layout when restarting after a crash.
- Fixed Filters and Keyframes broken on Source clip after changing Settings > Video Mode.
Software similar to Shotcut 4
Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 sets new standards for digital filmmaking, offering a format-independent plug-and edit solution that provides the tightest integration with Adobe After Effects and Adobe Photoshop.
Import and freely combine any type of video media, from video shot on a phone to raw 5K, and then edit natively without wasting time transcoding. The ultimate toolset for video professionals, Adobe Premiere Pro is a powerful, customizable, nonlinear editor that lets you edit video precisely the way you want.
- Free to Try