Performance Improvements for CATALYST™ Display Driver Version 4.12
As with most CATALYST™ releases performance has increased in various situations.
The following performance gains are noticed:
* Driver efficiency has improved considerably for both Direct3D and OpenGL.
* Numerous D3D games show 2-3% gains at low resolution. The small batch size
tests in 3DMark05 show improvements as large as 15% on some products.
* In OpenGL, several game titles show improvements in the lower settings.
Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, for instance, shows gains as large as 15% in low
resolution (driver-bound) cases. Doom III performance improves 5-10% at low
settings. Call of Duty improves 5-6%.
* Half-Life 2 performance also improves as much as 20% over Catalyst 4.11 in
certain sections of the game.
The CATALYST™ software suite 4.12 contains the following:
* RADEON™ display driver 8.082
* MULTIMEDIA CENTER™ 9.03
* CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER Version 4.12
* HydraVision™ 3.25.0006
* HydraVision™ Basic Edition 3.25.9006
* Remote Wonder 2.5.1
* WDM version 4.07
* Southbridge/IXP Driver
Note: The WDM version 4.07 currently does not install on the ATI ALL-IN-WONDER™ X300 and X600 products.
Note: These release notes provide information on the 8.082 display driver only. For information on the ATI MULTIMEDIA CENTER™ 9.03, HydraVision™ 3.25.0006, HydraVision™ 3.25.9006 Basic Edition, WDM version 4.07, REMOTE WONDER™ 2.5.1, or the Southbridge/IXP driver, please refer to their respective release notes found at: http://ati.com/
Desktop product family support
The CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop products:
RADEON™ X850 series
RADEON™ 9500 series
RADEON™ X800 series
RADEON™ 9200 series
RADEON™ X700 series
RADEON™ 9100 series
RADEON™ X600 series
RADEON™ 9000 series
RADEON™ X300 series
RADEON™ 7500 series
RADEON™ 9800 series
RADEON™ 8500 series
RADEON™ 9700 series
RADEON™ 7200 series
RADEON™ 9600 series
RADEON™ 7000 series
Note: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER™ variants based on the above are also supported.
Note: All ATI RADEON™ PC Graphic cards are optimized for Microsoft's Media Center Edition when coupled with a supported video capture card.
ATI Chipset Product Support
The CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the following ATI chipset products:
The latest version of the CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:
* Windows XP
* Windows 2000
* Windows Media Center Edition (graphics driver support only)
Note: As of January 1, 2004, Microsoft no longer accepted certification submissions for the Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition operating system. The ATI CATALYST™ CREW however is committed to all its customers and is now providing non certified WHQL software drivers for users of the Windows Millennium Edition operating system. Windows Millennium Edition users can obtain the software driver at: http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html. Windows 98/98SE is supported through the ME driver.
CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER Minimum Requirements
Issues Resolved in CATALYST™ Display Driver Version 4.12
The following section provides a summary of issues that have been resolved in the latest version of CATALYST™. These include:
* Half-Life 2: Playing the game on a system containing an Athlon XP CPU no longer results in missing textures occasionally being noticed
* Half-Life 2: Intermittent psychedelic patterns are no longer seen when playing the game under Windows XP
* CounterStrike: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 series installed no longer results in display corruption being seen in the floor in de_chateau map
* Doom 3: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition no longer results in display corruption being seen when pressing CTRL+Alt+Delete followed by clicking Cancel
* Everquest: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition installed results in the game displaying a black screen when setting the texture quality to high and having all radio buttons selected
* Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault: Setting the model detail to high and change the game resolution to high no longer results in the game failing to respond under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 series installed
* Tron2.0: Setting the display device resolution to 1280x1024 32bpp and setting the display option for the game to 800x600 32bpp no longer results in display corruption being seen in the game cinematics
* Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 series installed no longer results in triple buffering failing when enabling the option in the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER
* Attempting to rotate the display 90 degrees and play an OpenGL game under Windows XP may result in the game failing to launch
* Enabling clone mode along with theatre mode option under overlay no longer results in WinDVD and the operating system failing to respond when dragging the WinDVD window around the desktop
* Display corruption is no longer noticed when playing a DVD using WinDVD and having subtitles enabled under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 series installed
* Attempting to make a change to a saved profile within the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the Save button being greyed out
* Connecting a secondary CRT and clicking the X button to close the Enable this display window found in the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER Advanced view, no longer results in the window not closing
* Muting the audio during the playback of full screen HDTV video under Windows Media Center Edition no longer results in the video being paused
* Angle information in the rotation modes is now correct for the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER
* Enabling Overscan under Windows XP with an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER™ 9600 installed no longer results in the image not being centered properly on the display device
* Connecting a secondary CRT display device and extending the desktop, followed by unplugging the secondary device and hot-plugging a DFP device no longer results in the DFP remaining in the Additional display area when attempting to swap devices
* The Windows desktop brightness no longer dims when playing a DVD and having an HDTV connected as the primary display device
* Playing a DVD under Windows XP MCE with an ATI RADEON™ X800 XT installed no longer results in VPU Recover being activated when attempting to drag or resize the Media Center window
* An error message is no longer displayed when attempting to switch a secondary display device back to the primary display device when using the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER
Known Issues for CATALYST™ Display Driver Version 4.12
The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of CATALYST™. These include the following:
* Call of Duty: Corruption is noticed when playing a saved game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ 9100 PRO IGP series installed and having a variety of graphic options provided by the game set high. Further information on this issue can be found at: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4656.html
* Counter Strike Condition Zero: Launching the game in dual screen mode results in rapid flashing corruption on the secondary display device. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4729.html
* Myst URU Ages Beyond Myst: Attempting to turn 180 degrees and head towards the barb wire fence displayed within the game results in the system failing to respond. This issue is known to occur under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition installed. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4685.html
* Pacific Fighters: Playing the game after playing any track for a short period of time and having the landscape detail set to perfect results in the clouds becoming blocky when flying. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4732.html
* Rainbow six3: Athena Sword: Playing the game under Windows 2000 with an ATI RADEON™ X700 installed results in the game failing to retain its resolution option of 1600x1200, if you Alt-tab out of the game and then Alt-tab back to the game. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4633.html
* Playing an mpeg using the media player found in Windows XP MCE results in the ATI VPU Recovery failing if it is disabled and then re-enabled. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4743.html
* Sid Meier's Pirates: Enabling Anti-aliasing results in video flicker being noticed when starting the game. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4731.html
* Sudeki: The game fails to respond when ending the conversation with the duck and exiting the shop by running up to the door and pressing enter. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4727.html
* World Fables: The battlefield fog-of-war currently does not render properly. Further information on this issue can be found at: www.ati.com/support/infobase/4728.html
For further information and general help on driver or software installation, game issues, and more, visit the ATI FAQ website.
Here's other similar drivers that are different versions or releases for different operating systems: