Smartphone Buying Guide: Best 2012 Phones (So Far)

By on April 5, 2012, 11:36 PM

The smartphone market is heating up once again as Microsoft and Nokia finally have a hero device out to push the Windows Phone platform, and it's priced quite competitively to boot. Also a handful of Android devices announced back in CES and MWC are finally seeing the light of day.

In the near term, the U.S. smartphone market is shaping up to become a three horse race. The iPhone is topping sales charts on every carrier it's available from, quite an accomplishment considering it does have some formidable competition. Android devices from Samsung and Motorola are selling well -- especially the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, and Razr -- while the Lumia 710 briefly broke into the top three at T-Mobile. Nokia is hoping to repeat that feat with the Lumia 900 on AT&T. BlackBerry devices have failed to impress lately, so you'll note they are all but absent on this update.

Without further ado, check out our selection of the hottest devices currently out there (or those that are a short few weeks away from release). Each phone is listed alongside its feature highlights, specs and prices, from newest to oldest. To further aid you in making well-informed decisions on your next purchase, we've also added metascores from our Product Finder along with links to reviews besides each phone.

Read the complete guide.

mevans336 mevans336 said:

In the future, at a minimum, you should include the screen size and resolution. For example, the Nokia Lumia 900 has a (pathetic) 4.3" 800 x 480 SAMOLED+ w/ClearBlack.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You forgot to mention that Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100) also have "pathetic" 800 x 480 resolution. By the way Lumia 900 ClearBlack AMOLED display has its subpixels in an RGB arrangement, meaning you'll get better fine-grain detail on the 900 while also avoiding the subtle color-fringing.

yRaz yRaz said:

If Nokia came out with a slider, I'd buy it. If it wasn't for the LG quantum (a slider) on ATT, I probably wouldn't have a smartphone today.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Good point, I still have good memories of Tytn II (bit heavy yes, but KB was excellent). But I think if the put something like Swype on their sets, that will bring lots of ease of use.

I really like the Nokia. As soon as it comes to Verizon or my contract expires it is my next phone.

I'm currently on Sprint service and I'm considering upgrading from my Nexus S. I think the Galaxy Nexus is still on the top of my list but I'm eager to see what will be released in the coming months!

I hope they hurry up with the Galaxy S3 for Sprint. I just became eligible for an upgrade this week and I've been very close to throwing my Hero out the window on the interstate for months now!!!!

Why do these comparison articles never mention the fact that battery life on the Droids sucks?? What good is a mobile phone if you have to plug it in every five minutes?? That's a deal breaker. Can't believe people are buying these things.