“We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10.

Route44

I went to upgrade my Laptop running Windows 7 to 10 tonight (yes; you can still do it and its legal) when I got the error message as found in my subject title. After a lot of research it seems to be my System Reserved partition not having enough MB and I have to enlarge it to 450 MB in order for Windows 10. Can anyone recommend a free user friendly partition utility that can allow me to increase the System Reserve size? Thanks

I'm assuming a clean install is out of the question. If not I'd try a clean install of Windows 7 and then try the upgrade again. Or Clean install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 key for activation.

I went to upgrade my Laptop running Windows 7 to 10 tonight (yes; you can still do it and its legal) when I got the error message as found in my subject title. After a lot of research it seems to be my System Reserved partition not having enough MB and I have to enlarge it to 450 MB in order for Windows 10. Can anyone recommend a free user friendly partition utility that can allow me to increase the System Reserve size? Thanks
A (any?) Linux distro provides provision for partitioning at he time of it's installation.

Every Windows version overwrites whichever partition on which you install it. (In other words, "everything in its path"). You're right though, the "system reserve" is only 100 MB on Win 7.

What I"m not understanding is why Win 10 is not simply overwriting it. I don't normally follow this sub-forum, but still, you're the first person I've seen with the issue.
I have some reservations as to whether Windows will recognize unless it's named exactly correctly. (Maybe that's obvious, sorry).

I think I'd hit M$ support on the topic first, (yeah, I know, most of that is incomprehensible, (at least to me)).

There is a free tool called "Gparted", available here: https://gparted.org

I don't know as to whether it would allow you to create a partition without a drive letter. such as "X:System Reserve".

It seems to me however, that Windows installs all its files in the same area of the drive. IDK if trying to enlarge that partition, would (?) damage adjacent Windows files.

If it were my laptop I'd take Cliff's second suggestion and do a clean install of 10, then use the 7 key to activate.

Who knows, perhaps not all of your installed programs in Win 7, will work correctly with Win 10 anyway. (Just trying to put a bit of a positive spin on it)

Last edited:
There's a 'positional dependency' involved and expanding an existing partition for this specific issue would be fruitless IMO.

1577812962653.jpeg

There's a 'positional dependency' involved and expanding an existing partition for this specific issue would be fruitless IMO.

View attachment 85959
Right, Windows will group all its files together, which means if you move the partition boundary, you'll destroy other system files in the process.

A clean install of Win 10, will overwrite everything in its path, but you lose all your program files.

I suppose M$' semantics carries the day. They offered a "free upgrade", not a"free update".

I don't know why Windows isn't simply overwriting it. And there are others that are dealing with the same issue. Here is one such advice article on how to rectify the problem but I don't know how safe that would be if followed through: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...reserved/9154c2b1-b807-439d-8873-9699415eb657

Edit: I believe I read the article wrong. it isn't the system reserved that is managed but the C drive. Don't know if this means anything.

I don't know why Windows isn't simply overwriting it. And there are others that are dealing with the same issue. Here is one such advice article on how to rectify the problem but I don't know how safe that would be if followed through:...[ ]....
Windows will overwrite it, but only with a clean install.

The operation you're trying to perform is more like a "repair" operation. which certain files untouched, but repairs any damage to system files it finds.

You DID, find the right article, and also another tool which will do the job.

My best guess, (not that it's worth anything), is to try the procedure as outlined, using the tool which is linked in the article. The worst that could happen, if the laws of unintended consequences kick in, is you'll have do the clean install of Win 10.

Thanks Captain for your looking into this with me. My thinking exactly: If this doesn't work then a clean install is my last recourse.

Have you tried Mini Partition Wizard

BTW: the System Reserve space is used to hold backup drivers, so with Win10, lt just may take more space.

Yes, it did take more space from the default 100MB to 500MB. Just wanted you guys to know that I found that the free version of the ANOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition was by far the easiest and quickest way to extend the System Reserve. It worked on three laptops and two PCs.

Yes, it did take more space from the default 100MB to 500MB. Just wanted you guys to know that I found that the free version of the ANOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition was by far the easiest and quickest way to extend the System Reserve. It worked on three laptops and two PCs.

Good news! (sp)AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition, Freeware.
Download is @ discpart.com HERE < 25mb.

Windows users can use gparted for a MBR rescue, but see this page FIRST. The commands are short but understanding how to run the software is not everyones cup of tea.

Good news! (sp)AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition, Freeware.
Download is @ discpart.com HERE < 25mb.

Windows users can use gparted for a MBR rescue, but see this page FIRST. The commands are short but understanding how to run the software is not everyones cup of tea.

I really liked the ease of use. I first tried MiniTool but it had a slider which you had to use to extend disc space and it was a pain trying to get the MB increments needed. It wasn't sensitive enough.

Back