1 core 2 core 4 core 8 core 16 core when will it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbett_1989

AMD pushed their 8 and 16 core processors back until 2011. As of right now I don't know if Intel pushed their release date back. They were both to be released this year but things happen. Obviously these would be used for servers and not for home use right now. But this brings me to a question. When will we stop pushing so many cores? Right now most programs are just starting to be written to optimize duo core processors. I can't imagine how long it will take to make programs to be written for quad cores. I had a tech teacher predict that the processors would be made for certain operations in the system. A processor for the harddrive, one for video graphic, one for networking, and so on. So what does the community think? Will we just keep pushing more cores into one little package? Or is there a breaking point?

2 cores work for most things. At the time we have 16 cores many things will be able to use most of the cores. Should be interesting.

have a banana or two corbett - you're thinking too much.

in any case, to answer your question, multi-cores technology will probably be gone within a decade - replaced by quantum computing (fingers crossed). now that'll be something!

There is no "breaking point" as such IMO. More cores = more multitasking, which is something that is increasingly done nowadays. A common example would be playing a game like COD4, and having MSN and a Firefox window open in the background. A single-core CPU wouldn't allow you to do those things as smoothly as a multi-core CPU.

There is no "breaking point" as such IMO. More cores = more multitasking, which is something that is increasingly done nowadays. A common example would be playing a game like COD4, and having MSN and a Firefox window open in the background. A single-core CPU wouldn't allow you to do those things as smoothly as a multi-core CPU.

I agree, I play plenty of cod4 with all the kicks and giggles in the back ground. I remember trying to do it on a p4, makes me cry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back