1 isp, 1 switch, 2 routers, 2 public ips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My internet connection comes into my home and connects to a linksys 10/100 switch. I have two linksys routers connected to the switch. (a WRT54G and a BEFSR11). Both routers have their own public ip's.

-Is there anyway to be able for one pc to browse the network behind the second router?
or
-Is there a way to remove one of the routers from my config but still be able to use both public ip's?

Thank-you,

Sam

you modem incoming line should go to one of the routers, and that router should be set to gateway mode. the other router should be set to router mode. use the ||<>X switch on the back of both routers to allow pcs on the network to share files/interact.

Overly complicated setup

You have a complicated and possibly redundant setup. Your WRT54G router supports an Internet line, contains a 4 port 10/100 switch and contains a wireless AP. On the other hand your BEFSR11 only supports an Internet line and needs your external switch, or a wireless AP, to support PC clients. Both have DHCP server functionality. The simplest configuration for you would be the WRT54G, if you can live with up to four wired PC clients plus an unlimited numbered of wireless clients. You could keep the switch and plug it into a wired port on the WRT54G if you need more than four wired PC connections. Consider retiring the BEFSR11 and the 10/100 switch, if you don’t need it.

You broadband Internet line should connect to only one of the routers. By public IP’s do you mean you have two static IP addresses from your ISP? If so, with only one incoming line, why would you have a need for two addresses?

Typo....the model is a BEFSR41 not 11.

MrDJ009 said:
You broadband Internet line should connect to only one of the routers. By public IP’s do you mean you have two static IP addresses from your ISP? If so, with only one incoming line, why would you have a need for two addresses?

Yes, i have two static (public) ip's. Both ip's are needed as i need to have two pc's that are dmz'd, but the rest behind routers.

I use a Wirless Internet service called T6Wireless. The line comes in and goes to a 10/100 switch where i have both routers connected. This way i can have two seperate pc's that can be seen from the internet, and the rest can be safely behind the router. All the pcs share the one connection. Connection is 7mbps/1.5mbps.

Thanks,

Sam

Routers support DMZ

Both routers support allowing only one PC to be a DMZ. An alternative to DMZ appears to be the more restrictive, and secure, port forwarding feature that's supported by both routers. I haven't used this feature but you may want to explore it usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back