128mb fx5200 to 256mb 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

applesauce12321

Is a geforce xfx fx 5200 (128MB) to a geforce xfx 6600 (256MB) a good upgrade. I only have a APG port, no pci-e. My system specs are P4 2.4 Ghz,
1 gig RAM and the 5200

Go for a 6600GT version of the card its good. But It depends how much you wan t to spend.

The 6600 (vanilla as we call it) would be a HUGE increase over your current 5200 make no mistake.

But also do keep in mind that the 6600 is .... well.... at the bottom of the heap for what could be considered an "entry level" card when we are talking about today's newer games. It would not be able to run the new games on good settings, and on the more demanding games you'd actually have to turn the game settings down to "low" in order to get good framerates. But, it will at least be able to play the newest games, unlike your current 5200.

That said, the life expectance of a 6600 isn't all that long. If you have some games now that you need to play URGENTLY, then a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. If you only have 120 bucks, then get yourself a 6600. You'll love it compared to your 5200.

But if you can hold off for a bit until you have some more cash, that's probably your best bet. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a low end card as an upgrade since it isn't going to last you very long.

DonNagual said:
The 6600 (vanilla as we call it) would be a HUGE increase over your current 5200 make no mistake.

But also do keep in mind that the 6600 is .... well.... at the bottom of the heap for what could be considered an "entry level" card when we are talking about today's newer games. It would not be able to run the new games on good settings, and on the more demanding games you'd actually have to turn the game settings down to "low" in order to get good framerates. But, it will at least be able to play the newest games, unlike your current 5200.

That said, the life expectance of a 6600 isn't all that long. If you have some games now that you need to play URGENTLY, then a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. If you only have 120 bucks, then get yourself a 6600. You'll love it compared to your 5200.

But if you can hold off for a bit until you have some more cash, that's probably your best bet. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a low end card as an upgrade since it isn't going to last you very long.
I agree, i also had a FX5200 and one of the guys here told me to get the 6600 due to i only had a $90 spending money at the time. IMO its worth every penny, I play BF2 on med-high setting as well as games like Oblivion and FEAR. This game can easily run HL2 and Far Cry on high setting. But if you can save 80+ more dollars then buy a better card. I ocd this card to 350 coreclock and 575memory with the program it came with and its stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back