Setting up a DNS server for going out to Internet in Fedora core 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie with Linux so any help is appreciated it. I have a machine set up with Linux Fedora core 3 and the hostname is "monterey", it has a static IP

1) I was instructed to set it up as a DNS machine so other computers can use its IP as their DNS server. I researched that there is a file called /etc/resolv.conf In our file currently are 2 entries, one is sbcglobal.net and the other is the IP of the router which our network connects to to get its DHCP and for its DNS. I guess this would make it our gateway. What I wanted to do was to make monterey the DNS so other computers on our network connect to monterey first before going out to the Internet. By this I mean that all the Windows PC would have the IP address of monterey set in the TCP/IP tab that specify what DNS server to use.

Following the examples from the web
[root@bigboy tmp]# service named start
[root@bigboy tmp]# service named stop
[root@bigboy tmp]# service named restart

I installed the BIND and have it run after every reboot. I also modify resolv.conf file to remove the IP of the router and set it to 127.0.0.1 as the instructed. Do I need to change the domain name of sbcglobal.net also?

After I did this, I tried to test with the PC by setting PC DNS IP address to the IP of monterey. But I then cant seem to connect to any website to the outside. Also whenever I reboot the monterey machine, its ip keeps going back from localhost to its machine Ip for some reason.

So I guess I am asking is how to set up the linux machine so other computers can use it as DNS machine to connect to the outside?

thanks and sorry for the long info

In short. You have to tell the named to ask internet IP addresses from some other DNS server, the one your ISP has for example.

For more information:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

A local DNS server would be useful if your network has more than 10 machines. If it is less than that it would be easier to just set up "hosts" files on all computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back