1GB RAM showing as 256MB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritton

I had two 256 RAM chips installed in duel channel mode. i then brought another 1GB when i installed this i only added another 256. To test i then when on kust put the 1GB in as 1GB
can anyone help me please

Your post is a little confusing... It is always best to use the same model and speed RAM modules in dual channel. You were running 2 256MB modules, this should equal a total of 512MB minus any shared on-board video memory. 2 1GB modules would equal 2GB total RAM minus any shared on-board video memory. Don't mix memory types. You will hurt your systems performance, not help it

all the chips are of the same type and speed etc
i had 2 256MB chips install. i then added another 1GB chip

Do you have 3 or 4 RAM slots on your motherboard? Most dual channel boards have 4 memory slots. As I said before, running 2 256MB modules and adding a 1GB module is not a wise thing to do

A full description of what you have for a motherboard, and what memory modules in have installed in which slots will certainly help us, even if it confuses you.
In dual channel, the pattern must be repeated exactly between slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4... and the system will run at the speed of the slowest module you have installed...
Ideally, they should all be the same brand, size, and frequency

i will fine out exstacly what the motherboard/RAM when i get but in the mean time the board has 3 slots the middle slot if a differant color to the rest
the two 256's are the same in every way, as for the 1GB chip it is nly differant in terms of memory size, the frequency is the same (the brand may also but differant but i will have to get back to u on that)

what confuses me the most is when i put the 1GB chip in on it's own it still ony showed 256MB of RAM

We now have time for your positing of the brand, model, and age of your motherboard, brand and model of each size of memory, and operating system,
Have you used a magnifying glass and a strong, focused light to study the memory slots for damage?
Have you tried other brands of memory?

I would say you can either run 3 GB in single channel or 2 GB in Dual Channel.

The latter is more effective imho.

to put it simple thats not an option for me,besides that doesn't my question. i want to known why 1GB is showing as 256 MBs even when it installed on it's own

It was an observation on my part.

As to your query re the 1GB looking like 256 MB: You say ' all the chips are of the same type and speed etc', so I will ask that you verify that, ie, is the 1 GB low density (as I assume the 2x256 are).?

Getting any useful data from the Jetway site is like pulling teeth on a lion while it is awake.

maybe it's a simple problem? such as you havent fitted it properly, make sure the pins match up and the white levers are fitted into the grooves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back