1TB Colossus SSD to ship this month for $2,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

About two months back we announced the unveiling of OCZ's 1TB Colossus SSD. At that time the company hadn't disclosed a price or an official release date outside of an 8-week launch timeframe. They've recently made this information public, and we weren't kidding when we said you would pay dearly.

OCZ's 1TB Colossus boasts maximum read speeds of 250MB/s and write speeds of 200MB/s. It is comprised of two SSD components arranged in a RAID 0 configuration and driven by a JMicron controller. Every aspect of the device keeps true to its name.

It conforms to the 3.5" form factor - which most SSDs have abandoned - and it weighs 400g. The drive's massive capacity puts that of other SSDs to shame, much like its asking price does to my wallet. It is expected to ship at some point in mid-August with a price of $2,500. So, who's counting their pennies?

Permalink to story.

Well, they finally have the size right. Now let's drop a zero off of that price and I'm first in line to get one! ;-)

Finally! an SSD with a large amount of space that we can actually use. But, I don't have 2500 to spend on one when next year that last zero will fall off...

When I bought my first flash drive it was $50 dollars for a 1GB. Now you can pay $10 dollars for an $8GB stick. It's all about timing.

I recall computers (BIG SYSTEMS) with smaller total ram than Apples Keyboard...

I recall paying $400+ for a 'doubling of memory' upgrade... I went from 2 megs to 4 megs...

Young pups today don't know memory cram problems.

I used to work in a shop that closed down to discuss if a 'bit' was available for use.

Whats the point of 3.5" SSD's?
2.5" drives you can fit more in your case..

I like 3.5 because it fits most cases still in use today. 2.5 I usually just let it hang there or Velcro.. Not the best option in my option so the 3.5 is a welcome change in my book. Cases have more enough room for multiple 3.5 hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back