2 lan connections to a router from the same comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

hey what i did was i hooked up my lan card and the lan on my motherboard to a router which is then hooked up to my local network in hopes of getting some dual speed thing going here. but while my net is working fine i have noticed that only one of the lan connections seems to be working (according to the lil lights on the router) - which is my lan card connection.

i was wondering if there was a way to get my other connections working as well. the only reason that i thought about this was that i think i saw it as feature on a DFI lan party mobo (it had 2 lan connections on it) - then again this could very well have been my imagination. if this is not feasible then ehh it was worth a shot (its not like i wasted any money)... now to find a worth while hobby..or a job. much thanks for any help.:D

edit: hey this is magical post number 69...oh yeah...keeping it real

You can't aggregate LAN connections how you are trying to, to achieve 200MBPS or whatever you're aiming at.

The reason only one card is working, is its probably the first connected to your router, if you switch them around, does still only one work? but now its the previously unplugged one?

DFI may have had dual LAN, but this is probably for incoming and outgoing broadband and/or networking that way... not for the achieving the dream you have :)

Most decent server boards have dual gigabit lan and that like.

First of all, unless your router is a kickass high end thing then the integrates switch won't be able to give you the double speed anyway.

Windows can't pool network interfaces so every single connection would always go through only one NIC.

If you want to do this then you have to set up the IP configuration for both NICs manually and use a netmask to split the traffic between the NICs via the routing table.

This way you can have a situation when all the odd IP address connections go through one NIC while all the even IP connections go through the other.

And read the first paragraph again. You will get no extra speed from this unless you get a kickass switch and you atually have at least 2 connections going through the different NICs

And i seriously doubt the LAN speed is the bottleneck in your internet connection unless you are using 10Mbit ethernet and/or some really serious pipe to the net.

Using two network interfaces will only be of use to you in your situation if you have 2 different networks to connect it to, i.e. an external connection and a the switch. The unless you are doing some pretty wizard like stuff which you would probably encounter in some kind of Cisco certification and you can't do with Windows XP well or at all anyway.

if you have both plugged into your switch / router right now then what I imagine has happened is that in the registry somewhere one card is refered to as interface 0 and the other interface 1. interface 1 will never be used unless interface 0 is not available.

I have no factual basis for this but its what I have seen in practice, and I have every reason to believe that its true.

Originally posted by Nodsu
And i seriously doubt the LAN speed is the bottleneck in your internet connection unless you are using 10Mbit ethernet and/or some really serious pipe to the net.

Indeed. Its probably the speed of connection that his ISP has set according to his billing that's the bottleneck.

Except in exceptional circumstances, a home setup only has a need for one subnet, and so every machine just needs one network interface, preferably a new 100mbps or 1gbps interface. A nice fast switch will network all machines together.

The only machine that needs 2 network cards would be one that is required to be on more than one subnet, i.e a home machine that is performing network address translation and is sharing an internet connection with all machines connected to your home router. Here this requires 2 interfaces as one is connected to the outside would and the other is connected to the internal network.

Doing anything else (like some kind of freaky trunking, etc) is probably beyond your hardware and operating system, unless you are running Linux or some Windows server like Windows 2003 server. And its probably only of interest to network freaks, so unless you are one I would not bother and instead concentrate on getting basic file, print and internet sharing working as well as you can and need these things to. Good luck with your home system.

thanks for your responses fellas - i was just looking at my high end router (almost 60 beans!) and i noticed that both lights were flickering even tho i doubt the first is doing anything. in control panel/internet connections i only have the 3com accounted for while the other is nowhere to be found. oh well...the thing was that im up at school and i have a pretty fast connection here, which they throttle. i wanted to suck more juice out of it and this was my crazy scheme..which apparently was just crazy and not much of a scheme. im gonna try and install another connection since before i formatted my comp i had two, one for my home network and one for my school - i move around.

also now i noticed that they both flicker at the same time...ima gonna try and see how fast i can dl something (it has to be over 500kb/s for it be working since i can usually do 200/300 - & once i actually got like 1.3mbs)

edit: upon further observation the flickering in unison seems to be off a lil - the 3com connection seems to do a whole lot on its own while the other one is just chillin.
much thanks again:D

Hi ...

i have a similar problem .. i dunno how but ive got two lan connections with me on one computer.. one with microsoft loopback adapter and another with my lan card .. one connects to the internet via raspppoe and another via WAN miniport (pppoe) .. the problem i have is .. i want to use both the connections with combined bandwidth .. i know you all are saying that when one is used the other is not in use ... but i just tried one another thing and it worked .. i tried to download something with the first connection on .. and on the process of downloading .. connected the next connection .. and downloaded another file .. since my max bandwidth dl goes till 16.6 kbps .. with both connections on i am getting 16.6 on both the downloads with the above mentioned process .. thats like 33kbps .. combined .. but if i try to download something with both the connections on from the start then i get only 8.3 when downloading two files at once ..

i just wanted to know if i can somehow combine the bandwidth to make it 33kbps ?? with both connected ... is there any software or something ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back