20 percent of drivers don't use half of their in-car technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Automakers are increasingly leaning on infotainment systems jam-packed with technology to help sell vehicles but according to a recent study from J.D. Power, there’s quite a few people that aren’t all that into car tech.

In its Driver Interactive Vehicle Experience report, J.D. Power found that at least 20 percent of new-vehicle owners have never used 16 out of the 33 technology features measured in the study. The top five features that respondents said they never use are in-vehicle concierge (43 percent), mobile routers (38 percent), automatic parking systems (35 percent), head-up display (33 percent) and built-in apps (32 percent).

Of those five, I would have guessed that automatic parking systems would be popular but I digress.

The study also found that at least 20 percent of people said they don’t want specific technology in their next car including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Why are so many people turning the cold shoulder when it comes to in-car technology? According to Kristin Kolodge, executive director of driver interaction & HMI research at J.D. Power, owners simply prefer to use their smartphone or tablet because it meets their needs, they’re already familiar with how to operate their personal device and it’s accurate.

Among everyone that was polled, the reason for not wanting a specific technology feature in their next ride was that they didn’t find it useful in their current vehicle. Unsurprisingly, there’s also a correlation between owners whose dealer did not explain a certain feature and the customer even knowing it exists in their vehicle.

Permalink to story.

*shrug* Driver's won't matter in about one to two decades. Robots will drive us and use all of their technology when doing so. We just ride along and talk to the car as we go asking for weather updates, purchase movie tickets enroute, etc.

*shrug* Driver's won't matter in about one to two decades. Robots will drive us and use all of their technology when doing so. We just ride along and talk to the car as we go asking for weather updates, purchase movie tickets enroute, etc.

Not gonna happen. In 20 years maybe 1% of all vehicles will be autonomous, if that. Too many interests at stake for gov't, energy, and labor groups to allow such a dramatic shift in transportation in so short a time.

I'm researching for a new car and out of all of the 2015 small, midsize, and fullsize SUVs that Motor Trend reviewed, only one had an in-dash console that wasn't complete garbage so I'm not surprised that features tied to that aren't used much.

I'd use a HUD all day every day though.

Most of it is gimmick crap to wow the driver at time of purchase. As soon as the wow factor goes away (and after the purchase), that stuff is never used. I have a buddy who owns a Tesla which has as many gadgets as my home computer does and he uses maybe 1/3 of it.

Not gonna happen. In 20 years maybe 1% of all vehicles will be autonomous, if that. Too many interests at stake for gov't, energy, and labor groups to allow such a dramatic shift in transportation in so short a time.
I think it will be way more than 1% in 20 years. In fact it will probably become a requirement for exactly the reasons you state. Labor will want the jobs that all of the manufacturing will create, government will want all of the tax money generated by the sales of the cars they will require us to buy, energy will make out either way, whether the cars are powered by gas, hydrogen, or electric. Anyone who doesn't buy a self driving car will probably have to pay a tax or fine for the right to drive a regular car, and the places they are allowed will probably be limited. Never underestimate the involvement of the government if they think there is money to be made.

No, it absolutely is going to happen. Considering all the major car companies have it on their roadmaps over the next 10 years (source), you can pretty much bank on it. The industry does have a rough idea of where it's headed, and right now it looks like by about 2025 we will have a significant number of self-driving cars on the road.

You say in 20 years it won't even be 1% - in fact it's predicted that by 2035 75% of all cars sold will be self-driving.

I think it will be way more than 1% in 20 years. In fact it will probably become a requirement for exactly the reasons you state. Labor will want the jobs that all of the manufacturing will create, government will want all of the tax money generated by the sales of the cars they will require us to buy, energy will make out either way, whether the cars are powered by gas, hydrogen, or electric. Anyone who doesn't buy a self driving car will probably have to pay a tax or fine for the right to drive a regular car, and the places they are allowed will probably be limited. Never underestimate the involvement of the government if they think there is money to be made.

That's not how the playing field is configured.

Labor loses jobs with a significant increase autonomous vehicles because (1) it doesn't increase net manufacturing, (2) there are fewer accidents, and (3) the vehicles will last longer. All of these things have profound impacts on labor demand.

Gov't loses tax money with a significant increase of autonomous vehicles because (1) it further erodes the collection of gas taxes, (2) will reduce net milage taxes, (3) will dramatically reduce revenue collection via fines (autonomous vehicles don't break traffic laws), (4) net sales taxes will remain the same.

Energy loses revenue with a significant increase in autonomous vehicles because (1) autonomous systems are significantly more efficient and (2) autonomous vehicles reduce traffic congestion.

No, it absolutely is going to happen. Considering all the major car companies have it on their roadmaps over the next 10 years (source), you can pretty much bank on it. The industry does have a rough idea of where it's headed, and right now it looks like by about 2025 we will have a significant number of self-driving cars on the road.

You say in 20 years it won't even be 1% - in fact it's predicted that by 2035 75% of all cars sold will be self-driving.

Bookmark this response: In 20 years, less than 1% of vehicles operating on the road will be autonomous.

They will be available for purchase, and the companies selling them will make a modest ROI. However, they will be even less represented on roads than EVs. And as soon as some nefarious actor causes a major accident by hacking someone's sedan on an expressway, any steam that creeps into the autonomous bandwagon will be thoroughly evaporated.

In 20 years time, autonomous driving will be relegated to autopilot for use during rush hour jams. It won't be the standard of transportation.

Bookmark this response: In 20 years, less than 1% of vehicles operating on the road will be autonomous.

They will be available for purchase, and the companies selling them will make a modest ROI. However, they will be even less represented on roads than EVs. And as soon as some nefarious actor causes a major accident by hacking someone's sedan on an expressway, any steam that creeps into the autonomous bandwagon will be thoroughly evaporated.

In 20 years time, autonomous driving will be relegated to autopilot for use during rush hour jams. It won't be the standard of transportation.

Who knows! I'm as curious as you are man. Let's say it's a friendly wager :D

Gov't loses tax money with a significant increase of autonomous vehicles because (1) it further erodes the collection of gas taxes, (2) will reduce net milage taxes, (3) will dramatically reduce revenue collection via fines (autonomous vehicles don't break traffic laws), (4) net sales taxes will remain the same.
This is usually not a major concern as government will eventually find a way to make up for revenue loses in one way or another. There is no shortage of creativity in this area. :)

This is usually not a major concern as government will eventually find a way to make up for revenue loses in one way or another. There is no shortage of creativity in this area. :)

It's already a major concern in a number of states, which is why there is a push for a milage tax. They mandated stricter efficiency standards and consequently torpedoed their revenue from gas taxes.

You have to remember, the USG and many state gov'ts are run by *****s. They'll be creative, alright. And the shot they plant in their foot will be spectacular.

Sure, there is always someone who will be concerned, at least for awhile. What I meant was you or I shouldn't worry about it. Government will find new taxes, fees, assessments, etc. to make up for it. Equilibrium will be attained and all will be well again.

All of those arguments also apply to Uber, who is expanding despite the roadblocks (ha!) mentioned. Uber is winning the battle against Labor and Govt because it's what the people want. It is a a hysterical irony that the same politicians who claim to protect jobs are not willing to do so when it goes against public sentiment.

And that's why I think the biggest hurdle to autonomous vehicles will be public perception. All it will take is a few fearmongering news stories about how dangerous autonomous vehicles are (perhaps planted by big labor or another group against them) and the public could turn away.
Food is a perfect example of this... Pepsi is taking the aspertame (NutraSweet) out of their Diet Pepsi for the sole purpose of SAYING they're taking aspertame out of diet pepsi. If there were any sort of health risk they would also take it out of Diet Mt. Dew, but they're not. It's just because they know people will latch onto the perceived health of it. Same goes for gluten and GMOs and the MMR vaccine. 0 Evidence of danger has little bearing on perceived danger.

That's my biggest fear for autonomous vehicles. It'll be a safety scare based on nonsense like the IR cameras they use cause cancer to pedestrians or something like that.

All of those arguments also apply to Uber, who is expanding despite the roadblocks (ha!) mentioned.

Uber isn't the same situation. They have one adversary, and not a particularly strong one. They're also not in a position to become a standard method of transportation. Furthermore, they aren't costing the big players anything, only the cab companies. Cab companies aren't big players (though they tend to be locally).

And that's why I think the biggest hurdle to autonomous vehicles will be public perception.

Indeed. That's why they won't take over the market. People are risk averse and the security threats, real and perceived, will keep people in vehicles they think are safer.

Indeed. That's why they won't take over the market. People are risk averse and the security threats, real and perceived, will keep people in vehicles they think are safer.
Autonomous vehicles will prove to be safer at some point in time, what you are saying is that will not happen within the next 20 years.

Other than the stereo, I don't use that crap...too distracting. Ummmm you SHOULD be focused on actually OPERATING A MULTI-TON PIECE OF METAL DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 70MPH or higher, not playing around with the do-dads in the car.

Other than the stereo, I don't use that crap...too distracting. Ummmm you SHOULD be focused on actually OPERATING A MULTI-TON PIECE OF METAL DOWN THE HIGHWAY AT 70MPH or higher, not playing around with the do-dads in the car.
Perhaps that is the point in needing autonomous vehicles and a point that this topic brings out. The other 80 percent are irresponsible and would rather spend their time playing with all the gadgets in their automobile. Instead of actually controlling their massive piece of equipment.

It's already a major concern in a number of states, which is why there is a push for a milage tax. They mandated stricter efficiency standards and consequently torpedoed their revenue from gas taxes.

You have to remember, the USG and many state gov'ts are run by *****s. They'll be creative, alright. And the shot they plant in their foot will be spectacular.

why wouldn't they simply print whatever money they want, like.. I dunno, the last fifteen years? gold standard and fiscal integrity are just So last millennium..

Back