2020 iPhones might feature 120Hz displays

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: We're two months away from 2019's iPhones but details on next year's models have already begun to surface. According to leaker Ice universe, one of these could be the arrival of 120Hz OLED displays for 2020 iPhones.

Recently, we learnt about the camera systems that could feature on 2020 iPhones and this week's leak involves the devices' display. As higher resolutions bring diminishing returns on smaller screens, they certainly can benefit from higher refresh rates to make for a faster and smoother UX.

Among the first to bring 120Hz displays to the smartphone market was the gaming focused Razer Phone, although Apple did achieve the same feat earlier that year in the tablet category with its iPad Pro 2017 models, calling it their ProMotion technology that supports up to 120Hz refresh rate and adjusts according to what's happening on the screen.

With that said, OLED displays on almost all recent flagships are devoid of this technology. The noticeable exceptions include the much praised OnePlus 7 Pro with its 90Hz 'Fluid AMOLED' panel and the upcoming gamer focused Asus ROG Phone 2 that uses a 120Hz OLED display, the first smartphone to do so.

Apparently, Apple is thinking of doing the same and hopes to bring "switchable 60Hz/120Hz" panels to its iPhones next year as revealed by tipster Ice Universe. Considering that the company has already made the switch to OLED for its flagship models, it could be bringing its ProMotion technology to OLED screens on 2020 iPhones.

Although Ice Universe isn't renowned for Apple leaks, he is a reliable source on Samsung topics. With Samsung and LG being the OLED suppliers for the iPhone XS and XS Max models, this could be a possibility, and that Apple may reserve its ProMotion technology for future high-end models to distinguish them from its mid-tier offerings like the XR.

Permalink to story.

I have had XS MAX 512GB since release and I have watched hundreds of hours of video on it.

I haven't ONCE thought to myself:

"Damn I wish this was 120 fps" or "Damn I wish this cellphone was 4K".

It's a selling point that fortunately I'm sure Apple will NOT rush to market until they are 100% certain it won't compromise their battery life or CPU performance.

I'm sure all the Android makers will rush that feature to market tho.

I have had XS MAX 512GB since release and I have watched hundreds of hours of video on it.

It's a selling point that fortunately I'm sure Apple will NOT rush to market until they are 100% certain it won't compromise their battery life or CPU performance.

To add to this, Is a jump to 120hz or 4k even a huge jump or a selling factor which will make people upgrade? I mean go for it apple, if this is the next generations market feature I'll gladly buy the iphone xs max instead of next gen.

To add to this, Is a jump to 120hz or 4k even a huge jump or a selling factor which will make people upgrade? I mean go for it apple, if this is the next generations market feature I'll gladly buy the iphone xs max instead of next gen.
I know a few people who like the higher stats just because, but they certainly are not fans of Apple.

IF they add this to their phones (as the battery will suffer quite a bit at a true 120hz), it just sounds like an excuse to have a new, "big" feature to aggressively market to people who don't need it. And we all know it'll have a dumb name along the lines of "retina" lol

I'd rather phone companies work on giving me a phone that goes a week without a charge. This seems as pointless as having 4k resolution. Feels like buzzword nonsense.

You've done a great job showing what an ignorant apple fanboy you are.

Check out what Dave2D says about the One Plus 7 Pro and its 90Hz screen.

I know a few people who like the higher stats just because, but they certainly are not fans of Apple.

IF they add this to their phones (as the battery will suffer quite a bit at a true 120hz), it just sounds like an excuse to have a new, "big" feature to aggressively market to people who don't need it. And we all know it'll have a dumb name along the lines of "retina" lol

Well at least it'll be noticeable unlike the force touch gimmick.

Besides, Apple have had 120Hz on their iPad Pro's so it's not exactly unheard of.

If Apple can push the industry into adopting 120Hz I'd be glad for it.

I'd rather phone companies work on giving me a phone that goes a week without a charge. This seems as pointless as having 4k resolution. Feels like buzzword nonsense.

Energizer has an 18,000 mah battery Android Phone.

The best you’ll probably do is 48 hours with conservative use.

HAHAHA, I have a KeyOne (no extra battery) and I can get a week with conservative use. An android with a much bigger battery could easily go a week.

Like, what are you going off of to suggest such a BS number?

Last edited:

HAHAHA, I have a KeyOne (no extra battery) and I can get a week with conservative use. An android with a much bigger battery could easily go a week.

Like, what are you going off of to suggest such a BS number?

I had a Nokia or Microsoft 5 inch phone 2-3 years back. I work long night hrs playing loud music at the warehouse. 7PM-9AM. Out of all the workers mine lasted the longest. It was a cheap Lumia 920 or something. Just to let you know most of the workers that are full time buy the best phones ( they make $80K+) and all 30-50 of them were impressed with mine and battery life. It was the model where if you glance the screen it turns on the screen just to show the basics like time and date. I have Android but I miss those live tiles, long battery life and I have dropped that many times and never cracked until I loaded the wine truck and a co worker bumped into it and it cracked. Best $100-$140 I ever spent. Yes prepaid with T-mobile I believe.

Unless you are gaming, you can't see it since no video streaming service goes passed 60 fps. I thought they might eventually make a "gaming" phone with 120 hz, but it really makes zero sense atm. I don't even think games go past 60 fps on your phone.

Back