24 accidental scientific discoveries that reshaped the world forever

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As it turns out, many of the world’s scientific discoveries happened by sheer accident. The gang over at Mental Floss recently put together a video detailing 24 such discoveries for our viewing pleasure and as you’ll soon realize, most discoveries involving explosives were by accident.

Some of my favorites from the clip include corn flakes, anesthesia, the slinky and super glue – not in any particular order, of course. How about you? Are there any that didn’t make the list that you can think of off the top of your head?

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Silly putty was accidentally discovered while trying to make synthetic rubber at Du Pont during WWII. Great kids toy. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

The microwave was a great accident. The inventor had a chocolate bar in his pocket while working on a radar emitting microwaves when he noticed the candy bar in his pocket had melted. After rejiggering the process into a more compact machine the microwave oven was born.

The microwave was a great accident. The inventor had a chocolate bar in his pocket while working on a radar emitting microwaves when he noticed the candy bar in his pocket had melted. After rejiggering the process into a more compact machine the microwave oven was born.

It was mentioned in the video.

Oh come on, they tried to stop heart attacks but created a boner pill with the side effect of heart attack?

I discovered that adding a piece of sandwich ham, inside a quesadilla while toasting makes it taste better. I call it the "quesaham".

Instructions:
2 tortillas, a piece of krafts cheese or cheese of your choosing, cooked ham.

Step 1:place ham and cheese in between the 2 tortillas.
Step2: Place what you have in step one in a pan and slowly cook it until its golden brow toasted.
Step3: Flip it over
Step4: enjoy.

Back