24" monitor or 27"

cartera

I have a choice to make on a new monitor.

It needs to be VESA mountable and will be for strategy gaming and work purposes. Games like Wargame, Supreme Commander and World of Tanks. I work as a sysadmin so think lots of windows open!

Do I get a 24" monitor like this Benq (recommendations on a different one are welcome)

Or do I get a 27" monitor. If you think 27" what res would you recommend baring in mind I am sporting a 760gtx.

Thanks,

I think 1080P is the best bet for your GTX 760. 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 (27 inch panels) might be a bit too much. It is really personal preference whether you weant a 24 inch or a 27 inch. There are 1080P monitors in both sizes. I recommend Dell, BenQ, ASUS, Samsung, and ACER monitors. There are some other good ones, but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

Found a iiyama that looks great. 27", 1080p 120Hz and looks good. I had the same reservations about going for the 2560 x 1440. I can get one of those when I next do a rebuild.

Have you heard of or used Iiyama?

Found a iiyama that looks great. 27", 1080p 120Hz and looks good. I had the same reservations about going for the 2560 x 1440. I can get one of those when I next do a rebuild.

Have you heard of or used Iiyama?
Nope. Is that one of the Korean display companies? Supposedly they are good.

But as for the 120Hz, I am not sure your 760 can get games to 120 FPS, let alone constant 60FPS. You may need another 760.

But as for the 120Hz, I am not sure your 760 can get games to 120 FPS, let alone constant 60FPS. You may need another 760.
Doesn't really matter, gaming will still look better at lower frame rates.

With 120Hz monitor:
  • At 120Hz the monitor will refresh 1 time, compared to 60Hz refreshing 0.5 time
  • At 60Hz the monitor will refresh 2 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 1 time
  • At 40Hz the monitor will refresh 3 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 1.5 times
  • At 30Hz the monitor will refresh 4 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 2 times
  • At 20Hz the monitor will refresh 6 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 3 times
If my understanding of screen tear is correct, getting 120Hz monitor over 60Hz will greatly reduce the chances. Or at the very least minimize the length of time the visual effects are displayed, making it harder to see evidence of screen tear.

And way less chances of stutter.

Doesn't really matter, gaming will still look better at lower frame rates.

With 120Hz monitor:
  • At 120Hz the monitor will refresh 1 time, compared to 60Hz refreshing 0.5 time
  • At 60Hz the monitor will refresh 2 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 1 time
  • At 40Hz the monitor will refresh 3 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 1.5 times
  • At 30Hz the monitor will refresh 4 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 2 times
  • At 20Hz the monitor will refresh 6 times, compared to 60Hz refreshing 3 times
If my understanding of screen tear is correct, getting 120Hz monitor over 60Hz will greatly reduce the chances. Or at the very least minimize the length of time the visual effects are displayed, making it harder to see evidence of screen tear.

And way less chances of stutter.
Yeah plus he could always turn down some demanding settings to get a higher frame rate :D.

Sorry for not replying earlier, busy bank holiday weekend! I went for a Asus VK278Q, 2ms response time, 85Hz, 1080p and 27". I will update the thread with how it goes, if it's crap I will go for the iiyama! The iiyama is a Japanese make, they have some good reviews.

Thanks for the advice.

So, how are you liking the monitor? Do you find the PPI too low, or just right?

I'm in the same position atm and can't make up my mind.

I love it, ideally I want a 2560x1440 but as mentioned above the 760 wouldn't of handled the resolution. Currently I enjoy a solid 60 fps on the above games and it comes into its own for work purposes.

If you have the GPu power go with the higher resolution on a 27". 24" and lower is too small now in my mind.

I love it, ideally I want a 2560x1440 but as mentioned above the 760 wouldn't of handled the resolution. Currently I enjoy a solid 60 fps on the above games and it comes into its own for work purposes.

If you have the GPu power go with the higher resolution on a 27". 24" and lower is too small now in my mind.
That's great! I have a 970gtx and and although I'm sure it could handle most games that are out right now in 1440p, it probably won't in a few years and I don't want to be forced to upgrade once it starts lagging behind. A few of those 144hz have caught my eye as well, and if I decide to get one of those that extra juice would come in handy. Seeing as the PPI doesn't seem to be a problem, I think I'll go for a 1080p.

Anyway, thanks for the swift response!

Back