32-bit Vista Ultimate, ICH6R, and ICH10R Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

OK, they say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but this may be the exception:

I've got a single-disk RAID setup (sort of an oxymoron, I know) on my Asus MB with ICH6R SATA drivers installed during Vista install.

I would like to move the drive and a second data drive, also on the ICH6R controller, to a newer Asus MB that has an ICH10R chipset. Will the SATA drivers get updated automatically or not? Or will ICH6R drivers function on an ICH10R MB?

Can that be done WITHOUT a clean install of Vista 32-bit Ultimate? I've never had this scenario before.

Thanks for any help.

if you swap the motherboard you will need/should perform a clean install. it is possible to do on similar motherboards but it's always better to reformat and start from scratch. you could of course try uninstalling all drivers for the existing motherboard and then do the swap... but you still might run into some problems (i.e. Windows may not boot at all). you will need ICH10R drivers on the new board but it's not a big deal... new motherboards ship with the needed drivers on CD/DVD-ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back