35-year-old pen-and-paper game Pictionary enters the digital age

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: If you have ever played the game Pictionary, you’ll recall frantically trying to convey common words through your crudely drawn pictures. Well, the game is about to get a lot harder. Mattel is launching Pictionary Air this Sunday at Target stores nationwide.

The spin on the pen-and-paper game has players using a bulky digital pen to draw the pictures in the air instead of on a tablet. The drawing is streamed to mobile devices through a Pictionary app, or to a TV through Chromecast or Apple’s AirPlay. To make it even more awkward, the person drawing is not allowed to see the image until the timer runs out.

It’s a technological twist on an old yet fun game. Pictionary Air will be available starting June 23 for $20, but only at Target stores. However, Mattel said it would roll out the game to other retailers later this summer.

Permalink to story.

I'd say it's much harder to draw in the air then it is on a piece of paper. There's no feedback and you can't see what your are drawing. This would have been a lot cooler had they done an AR phone app instead. Would have solved all those issues.

I'd say it's much harder to draw in the air then it is on a piece of paper. There's no feedback and you can't see what your are drawing. This would have been a lot cooler had they done an AR phone app instead. Would have solved all those issues.

I think it'll add an extra layer of frustration/fun. It kind of reminds me of Drawful, cause it's impossible to draw a decent photo on the phone screen with your finger. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I could see my family having fun with it.

Yeah I think that was kind of the point. They aren't looking at it as a problem, more of a new more challenging way to play. I wouldn't buy it myself simply because I have a dozen games that no one in my family will play with me already, but I'd definitely play it at a party or whatever. It looks fun.

Back