3DMark benchmarking app comes to iOS, allows for Windows, Android comparisons

Justin Kahn

3dmark ios windows android ios windows android 3dmark futuremark pcmark 8 comparison benchmarking performance

Futuremark released its performance benchmarking app 3DMark for Android back in April, and now the company has launched the iOS version previously listed as "coming soon."

Traditionally used in the PC world, 3DMark is a free app that records and archives various performance data. With the addition of the iOS version, users can compare various performance results of Apple devices, including what the company unvieled today, against smartphones and tablets running Android and Windows.

Based on CPU and GPU performance, 3DMark for iOS offers up to 3 different benchmark tracking modes. The first of which is called the Ice Storm test, followed by the more involved Ice Storm Extreme and a new addition referred to as Ice Storm Unlimited. The new mode allows for detailed and direct chip-to-chip comparisons.

You won't need to gather all of the comparison data yourself though, you can compare your device's results with 3DMark scores from all the most popular smartphones and tablets within the app itself and on Futuremark's online Best Mobile Devices chart.

You can download 3DMark for free from the App Store right now. Keep in mind it is not compatible with iPod touch 4th Generation, and it requires iOS 6.0 or later with 174MB if free storage space.

Futuremark also released the latest version of its PC benchmarking application PCMark 8 back in June. The latest version includes new battery measurement tests, as well as data regarding the performance of specific applications and SSD/hybrid storage devices.

Permalink to story.

You know, what I don't get is why this application is even necessary? What kind of games do you intend on playing on a smartphone, or for that matter tablets, that would require significant graphical performance? Firstly the screens size would literally irritate the hell out of me, and secondly the control input is laughable at best for anything but the most basic games. So again, I ask, what is the relevance of putting a benchmarking application on a device that wont necessarily be used for more than the most arbitrary tasks. This is not computing, this is not even pretending to be computing, so why would anyone care what their phone/tablet can output in terms of graphical power? I can understand the allure of doing so on a PC, as the games on that platform actually do push the boundaries, and the fact that people can boast about new components that have been swopped out for better ones, but in a phone or tablet, you cant do that, you just toss it out and buy a new one, so where is the challenge, blood, sweat and tears of building a rig that actually makes this type of benchmarking worthwhile?

So to some this all up, This is categorically, un ostensibly, the most pointless application anyone can install on their phone or tablet. I even find it rather pointless to install this on laptops, unless its the gaming variety, but I digress...

Great, wonderful, stupendous, fantas... Hold on a second... I'm no Apple fan, I had better read the article again... **3 minutes later**... Oh! I though it was something to get excited about but I was mistaken.

With applications such as this, manufacturers can use it as an additional parameter to market their products from other brands; maybe if you like to play a lot of games would see this app as a beneficial tool to compare tablets from each other and decide on which because of that result.

You know, what I don't get is why this application is even necessary? What kind of games do you intend on playing on a smartphone, or for that matter tablets, that would require significant graphical performance? Firstly the screens size would literally irritate the hell out of me, and secondly the control input is laughable at best for anything but the most basic games. So again, I ask, what is the relevance of putting a benchmarking application on a device that wont necessarily be used for more than the most arbitrary tasks. This is not computing, this is not even pretending to be computing, so why would anyone care what their phone/tablet can output in terms of graphical power? I can understand the allure of doing so on a PC, as the games on that platform actually do push the boundaries, and the fact that people can boast about new components that have been swopped out for better ones, but in a phone or tablet, you cant do that, you just toss it out and buy a new one, so where is the challenge, blood, sweat and tears of building a rig that actually makes this type of benchmarking worthwhile?

So to some this all up, This is categorically, un ostensibly, the most pointless application anyone can install on their phone or tablet. I even find it rather pointless to install this on laptops, unless its the gaming variety, but I digress...

It's just made to show how powerful the device is compared to others. It'll illustrate the difference between PCs and phones and it'll also allow people to find out which phone is the more powerful one.

As long as you have two people with two similar things, there will be some who are willing to try and race them against each other and see who's is best. Benchmark platforms are the drag strip of the graphics processor's world.

In other news, someone get me out of this Candy Crush Saga addiction on my smartphone!

Back