60 percent of Americans don't trust Facebook to keep their data private

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A recent poll conducted by the Associated Press-CNBC shows that Facebook has a long way to go in earning the trust of their users. Nearly 60 percent of people questioned...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/48606-60-percent-of-americans-dont-trust-facebook-to-keep-their-data-private.html"]Read the whole story[/newwindow]

G

The title is mega miss leading its not 60 percent of americans its 60 percent of the[LEFT][SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana] 1,004 people surveyed by telephone. If that is how you claim its what 60 percent of americans say then you can say that about racism if you do a survey about how many americans are racist you could get 60 percent of the 1,004 people being racist then you would say its 60 percent of americans are racist, which I bet infact is not true![/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]

[LEFT][SIZE=13px][FONT=Verdana]a title can be very miss leading if not written right.[/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]

G

It is 60 percent of americans - you don't seem to understand how polls work.

G

I wonder how many of that 60 percent still use it despite not trusting it? How many will actually have principle to abandon their imaginary "friends" and end the attention*****fest once and for all...?

The biggest issue with sites like faecebook is not the constant spector of your "private" data being leaked/hacked due to poor security practices, software bugs, etc, but the fact that this company is "farming" you for your data - which you are only too happy to give - and which it sells on to third parties.

PC nerd

People actually trust Facebook? Well ****.

Deactivated my account months ago. Felt a little safer since.

G

I have never made an account on a social network site, I would sooner be better off giving a copy of my diary or phonebook out ot random people on the street essentially it is the same thing..

G

I have never trusted Facebook which is why I have never created a Facebook account. How come they never poll me?

edvim

After all the well documented instances on a consistent history of deception, to me it's worrisome that there's a 40% who DO trust Facebook about privacy issues.

G

PC nerd said:
People actually trust Facebook? Well ****.
You did - you made an account.
PC nerd said:
Deactivated my account months ago. Felt a little safer since.
Too late - they have your data... good luck.
Guest said:
After the 3rd privacy fiasco, I deleted my account. Problem solved.
No, problem not solved... I'm surprised it took you no less than three "privacy fiascos" though...?

Julio Franco

Staff member
I find it ironic how people don't trust it but still keep an account. Personally I don't mind a little exposure, I keep my settings on private levels, use and enjoy the service to keep up with friends but there's nothing there that I want to be kept a real secret.

Statistics lie..This is a fine example.
I wouldn't doubt that 60% of Americans don't even use Facebook
As someone else stated it's 60% of 1,000 some callers, that doesn't translate to all American's, unless you use fuzzy math that pollsters are so fond of.
If you don't trust it , don't put anything important on it

G

Yeah statistics lie, there were WMD's in Iraq, God created Earth 5000 years ago and the US govt is working for the benefit of its people.

Stupid americans o.O