71% of users run latest version of their browser

Emil

Staff

Many new websites are relying on features that only modern browsers can offer. Web developers constantly have to battle with the many users that don't regularly upgrade their browsers (by choice, because they're ignorant, or because their IT departments won't let them). This hinders the progress of the Web as it slowly moves towards the latest and greatest features browser technologies, like HTML5. That being said, a surprisingly large number of users (71 percent) already run the latest official versions of their browser, according to the latest data from Pingdom and StatCounter.

Google is leading the pack for browser vendors, thanks to Chrome's built-in update feature. 90.6 percent of all Chrome users have the latest stable release (version 7). Furthermore, considering Chrome's fast release cycle, it's very likely that many of the users not on version 7.0 are actually using a later build (either version 8 or version 9). Following Chrome, the next three are Firefox (81 percent are on version 3.6), Opera (77 percent use version 10.6), and Safari (71 percent run version 5.0).

It's not very surprising that Internet Explorer is dead last. Many haven't upgraded to the latest version of Microsoft's browser, though it's still impressive to see that 60.2 percent of IE users are running version 8. IE8 is actually the most popular browser, even if you don't take version numbers into account for other browsers. Furthermore, many are eagerly giving Internet Explorer 9 a shot.

Now the question is, are you running the latest stable or beta version of your browser?

Permalink to story.

Not running the latest beta of Firefox because the last time I tried, my add ons were not compatible. That and I wanted to run 2 different profiles on my work computer but it didn't do that. Merged as one. SO, I'll just wait until the official 4.x Firefox comes out.

This is pretty cool information. I am not surprised at Google Chrome's numbers, as it has a built in updater that keeps the browser current. Firefox did pretty well too. And, IE's numbers are expected, due to people not using windows update and many large companies still using IE6 and IE7.

Does Google Chrome auto-update? If yes, than yes. ;) Actually, this is great information for myself, being a web developer, it's always been a struggle to make websites look and function good across a wide variety of browsers and their multiple versions, I believe it is time to focus on creating websites that are compatible with only the newest browsers, or at least the newest stable version of Internet Explorer, that's always been the worst one. Site works in IE7, but fails in IE6 or looks like garbage.

This is really surprising to me. I think most of my friends regularly update their software, but I could still easily imagine the results much worse.
All of my stuff is either fully up-to-date or in a beta release.

Wonder how many businesses are lagging behind in updates? Especially IE as that's the most commonly used browser in a business environment.

I use Chrome and Firefox and have the latest versions. I normally don't mess with beta versions. I'll let someone else figure out what's wrong with those. ;)

I use both Chrome and Firefox; Chrome the majority of the time. Yes, I have the latest versions of each browser. Since I'm online everyday, I've developed a habit of checking for program updates usually at the start of every day. I'm not too surprised about the results from data, and I'm not surprised that IE came in dead last.

I don't update many of my browsers. Mainly because I have a relatively static set of sites I go to. I never had much of a issue with viruses and stuff. The only thing I really want to stay compatible with is Adobe Flash and Unity Web Player.

@ TomSEA: Internet Explorer is automatically updated through Windows Update, so technically as long as they have IE 8 installed (again, probably through Windows Update) they're running the latest version given Windows Update is enabled.

Yep, business users stagnate. Ironically, they're mostly using ie, the most insecure browser. "Legacy" systems. What do businesses do with all their time. Collect tarp money?

I'm running the latest Firefox 4 Beta 8 Pre nightly. And it's damn fast. Chrome feels a tiny bit slower.

I also run the latest Chromium trunk build (not Google Chrome, or at least not yet anyways), version 9.0.576.0 (65344).

ElShotte said:
Does Google Chrome auto-update? If yes, than yes. ;)

I use Chrome, but as far as I know it doesn't auto-update. It's built into the browser under the help though to check the latest version and update to it if you don't have it. I <3 Chrome! It's so fast and getting faster and the ability to pull tabs apart is wonderful!

Chrome updates its self, so I am pretty much always running an up to date browser. For the rare occasion I do use Firefox though it is most likely not up to date. I only do use it once in a blue moon, so it hopefully is not too much of an issue.

I run the latest version of FF on all my machines and don't really mess much with betas since I like my add ons. But I would've expected IE to be lower then 60% maybe like 50% or less, I guess all that bad press has gotten through to some of those still running older versions.

I almost always run the latest version of any software myself and I always update computers I work on as well. It's great to hear people are becoming more aware that they should update though!

Currently using Firefox beta 7 myself. I like to keep up with the new stuff especially when it doesn't cost me anything.

I absolutely am running the latest version of my browser. I really found it surprising that that many people were running the latest releases. I know barely anyone (other than myself, of course) that updates their software regularly.

I think the compatibility issue is the main thing but i dont even use IE although IE 9 looks nice but it has a lot of bugs that i have found, for me chrome is the choice its fast not tooo complicated causing it to speed it and well frankly i like google stuff XD

I honestly don't know why anyone would avoid downloading the latest version of his or her favorite web browser. The latest version almost always has more features and fewer security holes.

sorry i cant update my colleague browser.else they wont be able to run oracle application from the browser. i blame it on our programmer for not updating the system.it just not compatible with firefox 3.0 and above..

I like to try browsers but I don't like the auto update... Both Chrome and Opera have released unstable versions through auto updates in the past and i've had to uninstall and downgrade. This was particularly difficult with Chrome as they seem to refuse to offer easy access to offline installers, they want to make everything web based install. I find this extremely annoying, being an advanced user and IT tech alike.

Needless to say i'm sure the auto update is a large part of browsers users' running the latest version.

I think I use Opera the most... as i'm quite partial to the undo function operating as a restore closed window for when you accidentally close a tab in Opera, just CTRL+Z brings it back. No other browsers do this with ease, you have to go back in some sort of history or recently closed tabs thing. Also I like being able to resize and move tab windows around within the browser, and I don't know any other browsers that do that.

Currently running five different betas, only to see what the future has to offer. As with IE9, it will undoubtly be the new sheriff in town. There are tonnes of improvements to it,, compared to IE8 and 7. But the lack of html5-support really bugs me a lot... The only webbrowser capable of all (but 1) of the html5-scripts is Google Chrome.

Hopefully the IE9 will support html5 better in the official version, otherwise many might skip IE altogether.

Back