7800 GS is crashing out ingame, possible power issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my 6800GT to a 7800GS. Shortly after installing the card I have been having issues with the card dropping to black while the rest of the system remains online. I have to reboot the pc to regain video.

I have a power hungry system,
AMD 64 3400+
2 Gigs Cosair PC3200 DDR 400
2 HD's
9 Casefans
Soundblaster Audigy ZS Plat
600 Watt Ultra PSU

Now my psu is indeed a 600W psu, but i know alot of companys will advertize peak power as rms power on amplifiers and the such. Is this the case with this PSU and I have simply gone over its limit with the new video card? I have a new PSU on order but Im not sure if this is the problem or not.

(PS) The new PSU is an Antec TruPower 550W, I have heard good things about these and I know people that have similar systems and have no problems with them :)

Please help

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Aceshigh said:
The new PSU is an Antec TruPower 550W, I have heard good things about these and I know people that have similar systems and have no problems with them :)
Antec is very trustworthy!
Is this AGP or PCIe?
For a very close to accurate idea try here:
www.extreme.outervision.com
If your 600w is generic then youo'll be quite happy witht the Antec.
G'Luck

I bought a 600W Robanton PSU a couple years ago and it couldnt even handle a GeForce4 Ti4200. I replaced it with a 431W Enermax PSU and never had a problem. Now I'm running a 6800GT and a Opteron 146 @2.5Ghz with the same PSU and still handles the power draw with no problems.

Supra said:
I bought a 600W Robanton PSU a couple years ago and it couldnt even handle a GeForce4 Ti4200. I replaced it with a 431W Enermax PSU and never had a problem. Now I'm running a 6800GT and a Opteron 146 @2.5Ghz with the same PSU and still handles the power draw with no problems.

It could have been faulty.

Whyd you upgrade from the 6800 GT to a 7800? Is it really that big of a diffrence or was the 6800 GT giving you crappy framerates?

This is probable your fix

I had the same issue. It is the crappy drivers. You need to download the NGO drivers available at www.guru3d.com. They haven't worked out the issues with the regular NVIDIA drivers yet. The PC goes to a reboot and locks up. I have a 550w good quality PW, so I knew it wasn't that. Next, I thought it was the cooler on the video card. It happened in BF2, COD2, NFS-MW, and other games. When I upgraded, I went from a 5900xt to the XFX 7800GS. For me, it was a big jump. I'm not sure why you did it. That doesn't seem like much of a jump to me.

Teaser35 said:
I had the same issue. It is the crappy drivers. You need to download the NGO drivers available at www.guru3d.com. They haven't worked out the issues with the regular NVIDIA drivers yet. The PC goes to a reboot and locks up. I have a 550w good quality PW, so I knew it wasn't that. Next, I thought it was the cooler on the video card. It happened in BF2, COD2, NFS-MW, and other games. When I upgraded, I went from a 5900xt to the XFX 7800GS. For me, it was a big jump. I'm not sure why you did it. That doesn't seem like much of a jump to me.
Thank you for the heads up! props out to you!
I have 6800 gt OC, this driver dropped my core temps 5°c!

Check new thread, NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver---Awesome!

CrossFire851 said:
Would it work good for my 7800GT?
The pci/agp latency utility will not work with Pci e. :blackeye:
Otherwise the driver should work wonders with 7800's :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back