7800x vs ryzen 7 1800x vs ryzen 1700

Hello everyone. I am going to build a new pc for rendering,coding and developing games in unreal engine 4. I will also use my pc for gaming. I was considering to buy a ryzen 7 cpu or the i7 7800x . And a 1700 or 1800x if I purchase ryzen. Can someone please recommend which processor I should buy. I do not know if unreal engine loves single performance or multicore performance

If its gaming, go with intel. looks like its performing better. But then again if u want a more future proof rig, perhaps Ryzen is better as software will make use of more cores with time.

If its gaming, go with intel. looks like its performing better. But then again if u want a more future proof rig, perhaps Ryzen is better as software will make use of more cores with time.
Sorry but forgot anotheroption in the question. I could also buy a dual xeon machine. I need it to develop and play games and create content.

Sorry but forgot anotheroption in the question. I could also buy a dual xeon machine. I need it to develop and play games and create content.

i7 7800x is only hexa core. I'd go at least octa core so that's Ryzen 1800x gets my recommendation if you want machine right now.

Dual CPU systems are very expensive and AMD Threadripper is coming very soon with 16 cores. That should be enough.

Best to get the Ryzen 1700 and a good x370 motherboard for the money.

Best to get the Ryzen 1700 and a good x370 motherboard for the money.
I double that. Why?
1. It is a solid gaming cpu that can handle even 4k 60fps gaming
2. Ryzens are a much better buy then any Intel for any workloads
3. Intel will probably require new mobo for next gen of processor, amd probably won't, also the intel hedt motherboards are so damn expensive because they need to support 2 different cpu generations.
4. Ryzen 1700 overclocked performs similarly to Ryzen 1800x overclocked. Ryzen 1700 is the best to buy.
5. Intel CPU will probably require an expensive cooler, a 240 AIO minimum, a 360 one or custom loop if overclocked
6. x370 mobos are great and will last for a loong time (probably more then 10 years)
7. With so much threads on Ryzen 1700 it is possible that you'll have cores/thread on your cpu left while doing some calculations/rendering - this means you can use your computer during this time for coding/gaming/browsing/etc.
8. Even though intel provides 28 pcie lanes and ryzen provides 20 it does not matter - both will run 2x gpus with 8x pcie 3.0 modes and it is more then enough for any workload and gaming

As a side note - why won't you buy a threadripper? Is it out of budget for some reason (like retail prices in your country)?

Hello everyone. I am going to build a new pc for rendering,coding and developing games in unreal engine 4. I will also use my pc for gaming. I was considering to buy a ryzen 7 cpu or the i7 7800x . And a 1700 or 1800x if I purchase ryzen. Can someone please recommend which processor I should buy. I do not know if unreal engine loves single performance or multicore performance

I suggest you grab the 7800x this one will do better on apps and do a really good job in gaming.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/m304816vs3915
You're problem is getting a combination of video card/ram sticks.
Dedicated to testing out your games, coding on the sidelines, 3d/video rendering, game time.
If you have another machine with a good nvidia card.
Use that as the final end results to test out your work.
I recommend this for the rendering part, if you know anything about game console rendering.
Sony nintendo in the past use to rely on ati alot.
As such emulating games on the dolphin emulator takes a whole lot of power just to play their games at good speeds.
Ati cards usually perform very well on that emulator and our recommended first.
Metroid prime 2 would be a great example to see why you will need a good machine for development.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125962
This ram is what I recommend most to people when they mention they want to do game development.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233894
I don't know what your budget is like if you already got what you wanted but that would be the best way to go.

Last edited:
I suggest you grab the 7800x this one will do better on apps and do a really good job in gaming.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7800X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/m304816vs3915

i7-7800X runs very hot, it's only hexa core, and it requires much more expensive motherboard than Ryzen. It also does not do better in apps than Ryzen.

Another reason to avoid i7-7800X is the fact that it requires expensive platform it cannot fully utilize because lack of PCI Express lanes. So 7800X is pure hoax and should be avoided.

Alright then besides the ryzen 1700x is there anything else that will fit the bill nicely or not ?
I doubled back and I check the prices and the heatsink information.
Comparing this 7800x to the recent lga 2011 kabylake mobos, the prices are higher than the 7800x right now.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5608043&cm_re=heatsink-_-35-608-043-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...38&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-186-038-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=corsair_120mm_fan-_-35-181-053-_-Product
I know of a few people elsewhere who haved used this brand for and they have absolutely good respect for it.
Those 3 items combined and the last 2 items which is the grease and fans I've used over the years.
They cool very nicely, even in high humidity in the south where I live at.
So yeah I'm still for the 7800x it shouldn't be hard to contain that beast and its worth the money.

Last edited:
I double that. Why?
1. It is a solid gaming cpu that can handle even 4k 60fps gaming
2. Ryzens are a much better buy then any Intel for any workloads
3. Intel will probably require new mobo for next gen of processor, amd probably won't, also the intel hedt motherboards are so damn expensive because they need to support 2 different cpu generations.
4. Ryzen 1700 overclocked performs similarly to Ryzen 1800x overclocked. Ryzen 1700 is the best to buy.
5. Intel CPU will probably require an expensive cooler, a 240 AIO minimum, a 360 one or custom loop if overclocked
6. x370 mobos are great and will last for a loong time (probably more then 10 years)
7. With so much threads on Ryzen 1700 it is possible that you'll have cores/thread on your cpu left while doing some calculations/rendering - this means you can use your computer during this time for coding/gaming/browsing/etc.
8. Even though intel provides 28 pcie lanes and ryzen provides 20 it does not matter - both will run 2x gpus with 8x pcie 3.0 modes and it is more then enough for any workload and gaming

As a side note - why won't you buy a threadripper? Is it out of budget for some reason (like retail prices in your country)?

The only reason why I choose to recommend the Ryzen 7 1700 over threadripper is due to the pricing and majority favorite of that processor sku. The only reason you'd want a threadripper CPU is for the pcie lanes and the additional features that come with it. Other than that, you're spending $300+ on a motherboard (an R7 1700 is under $300) and over $500+ on the 1920 threadripper processor. You can squeeze in a GTX 1070 with the money saved and have a good editing/gaming PC.

The only reason why I choose to recommend the Ryzen 7 1700 over threadripper is due to the pricing and majority favorite of that processor sku. The only reason you'd want a threadripper CPU is for the pcie lanes and the additional features that come with it. Other than that, you're spending $300+ on a motherboard (an R7 1700 is under $300) and over $500+ on the 1920 threadripper processor. You can squeeze in a GTX 1070 with the money saved and have a good editing/gaming PC.
Sure, I was asking the OP. Since he considered intel hedt platform I thought why not consider amd hedt platform. All in all I still recommend the Ryzen 1700

Alright then besides the ryzen 1700x is there anything else that will fit the bill nicely or not ?
I doubled back and I check the prices and the heatsink information.
Comparing this 7800x to the recent lga 2011 kabylake mobos, the prices are higher than the 7800x right now.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5608043&cm_re=heatsink-_-35-608-043-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...38&cm_re=thermal_paste-_-35-186-038-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=corsair_120mm_fan-_-35-181-053-_-Product
I know of a few people elsewhere who haved used this brand for and they have absolutely good respect for it.
Those 3 items combined and the last 2 items which is the grease and fans I've used over the years.
They cool very nicely, even in high humidity in the south where I live at.
So yeah I'm still for the 7800x it shouldn't be hard to contain that beast and its worth the money.

Hi man, I'm glad to have an opposite site to discuss this with :)
Let's see and answer what you wrote...
1. No, there is no other option that come even near to r7 1700 price-to-performance ratio
2. Even though 7800x is kaby lake you cannot compare current kaby lake mobo price to x299 mobo price. It does not make any sense. We compare cpu+mobo combo from intel and from amd, we do not care about current prices of kaby lake mobos.
3. The links you provided show respectable paste and fans, but a noctua fan for xeon server cpus? If this is about brands then yes, those brands are respectable. Though we do not compare brands, but specific products.
4. About containing this beast... 7800x is having tdp of 140w at stock. This is so much that for example cryorig h7 would barely cool it. 7800x is with around 193w power consumption. If you overclock it it jumps to over 350w power consumption and you really need a custom loop or 360mm AIO cooler to contain this beast. While ryzen 1700 has tdp of 65W and even with respectable overclock of 3.9ghz the STOCK cooler is able to contain it.

R7 1700 > 7800x all the way

Back