8600M GT Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercut_2008

Does anybody know where i can find newer drivers for my 8600M GT laptop graphics? (or if such drivers even exist). I checked Nvidia's website, but they don't even list it. current driver info-

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.5669
Driver Date: 10/4/2007

I have been getting a lot of crashes during games, and the driver tells me it is at fault. any help is appreciated.

Can you not use the drivers the desktop cards use?

The 8000 series use the 'unified driver architecture'

i was wondering that myself.

on Nvidia's site, they break the 8000 series down (8800, 8600, etc), so why wouldn't they just have a vista and xp driver for the whole series?

Meh, and there are quite a few others that say it worked fine for their Dell 1520. Go look through nearly every product on Newegg and elsewhere, there is always at least one negative review.

SNGX1275 said:
Can you not use the drivers the desktop cards use?

The 8000 series use the 'unified driver architecture'

No, Nvidia does not support mobile cards with their current "unified" drivers. Even on desktop cards they make you select your card model to download the driver, so how "unified" can they be?

I used the laptopvideo2go hacked inf 169.09 drivers with success with an 8600m gt FWIW. Some of the other hacked inf drivers would cause display corruption, but the 169.09's have been ok since I've used them. I'm sure there are much newer drivers out now with hacked infs that would work too.

i upgraded to the ones zenosincks linked to, and those ones work OK, but i still get random crashes, especially during COD4, just not a frequently as before.

vnf4ultra said:
No, Nvidia does not support mobile cards with their current "unified" drivers. Even on desktop cards they make you select your card model to download the driver, so how "unified" can they be?
You may be right about not being able to use their other drivers for the mobile cards, I didn't know, which is why I asked.

But. You can go to their site, pick any of the 8000 series cards, download the drivers, and they are 100% identical. Then you can go to the 7000 series, and you aren't given the list of cards anymore, just sent to the driver, download that and compare it to the driver(s) you downloaded for the 8000 series card(s) and it is also exactly the same. So THAT is what I took to believe as unified driver. With that assumption in my head, I thought that perhaps the mobile's were the same. nvidia probably doesn't want to deal with mobiles because they don't directly sell them to the consumer, so they don't want to support that, they'd rather Dell, or Compaq, or whoever handle the support.

Edit: The 6000 series and the FX series also seem to use the exact same driver as any of the 8000 series cards. Which makes sense because on their download page it says
WHQL driver for GeForce FX, 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.

The best place to go is www.laptopvideo2go.com where you will find all the latest drivers. THe only difference as SNGX1275 points out is the inf file. On this site you will find the driver and modded inf file which you use to replace the original, thus allowing it to install on your laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back