939 or AM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grr_San_jose_Ca

Hmmm im building a new gaming system for me and i was wondering what would you guys recomend what socket type CPU all thoughts welcomed.

939 is a better solution unless you are getting an Athlon FX 62. AM2 only offeres 15% speed increase (support for DDR 2).

939 Cpus are comming down in price everyday. IMO I think you should get a a sockect 939.

I am with crossfire unless ur shelling out the cash for the FX 62 I would go with the 939 deffinetly the best bang for your buck especially when coming to gaming

the move to AM2 was simply a doorway for the next generation of AMD processors (AM2 K8L). however it is unclear right now if the K8L will be supported by currently avaiable AM2 boards.

right now AM2 does not provide much performance increase over 939, this is because they haven't actually made any new processors, they have just modified existing 939 processors (by changing the memory controller to support DDR2).

both 939 and AM2 will give similar performance. but AM2 will be more future-proof and you'll already have the DDR2. if you want to upgrade to K8L next year, with an AM2 board chances are that you'll only need the CPU itself, but with a 939 board then you would need a mobo, processor and RAM.

so the bottom line is this... if you want great performance at good prices, go with 939. if you want great performance with an easier upgrade path to K8L, then go with AM2.

also, have you considered waiting a couple months for intel core 2 duo???

for the duo? im not sure how much it will cost but i want a gaming machine and i think after reading your guys comments ill go with the 939 thanks guys

Grr_San_jose_Ca said:
for the duo? im not sure how much it will cost but i want a gaming machine
not the duo, the Core 2 Duo (otherwise known as Conroe). they will be available soon and are said to be the best performing processors on the market (for a short while at least).

in the few limited benchmarks that have been conducted, the Conroe performed better than even the most expensive socket-939 processor (the FX60?)

so for a gaming rig it would seem that you won't be able to buy a better processor than the conroe (at least until next year)

If you are building a new system and deciding between a 939 or a AM2 system, I myself would (without hesitation) go AM2 for a number of reasons.

1) The first obvious one is future upgradability. The 939 socket CPUs that are out now are the last, and it looks like there are no plans to make any faster 939 cpus in the future.

2) DDR2 support. Cheaper.

3) By going AM2, you also open yourself up to making use of the newer motherboards and the chipsets that are coming out. The new nforce5 series chipset being one example.

For those that have a 939 board now, there is no need to rush into an upgrade. 939 has plenty of life left in it. But for those building a new system, I personally wouldn't understand the choice to not build an AM2.

Of course this whole conversation is ignoring the conroe ghost hiding in the closet.

I had thought the same thing over. What I was trying to get at was if your on a budget then go with 939. But if you want better options to upgrade next year go with AM2.

Don't do anything, after 3years both sockets r gone!
nah get AM2 like DonNagual said:You can get 2 gigs of corsair value select DDR2 (Am2 system) cheaper than DDR3200 (939 system).
And there are plenty of "budget level" options for AM2 motherboards as well.

Hmmm im going to use the machine 4 gaming so after reading more posts im kind of stuck..... i dont know what i should pick now. help me guys

Well do some price comparison 939/AM2 'n pick one or another.. or wait for some intel conroe reviews and then make your decision..

You should deffinatly go for AM2..S939 is dead FX-60 was the last CPU released and it will stay that way.
AM2 supports DDR2 = Better Gaming performances
AM2 is the newest socket = You can expect better cpu's to be released.

kangaruffian said:
Don't do anything, after 3years both sockets r gone!
who cares about 3 years from now?

anything new right now will be old school in 3 years, that doesn't meant that you shouldn't upgrade to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back