A 64-core Mac Pro priced at $19,000+ rumored to arrive next year

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Apple’s Arm-based M1 chips have been a resounding success, gaining praise from both critics and consumers alike. According to new rumors, possible successors to that SoC will arrive in the 2022 Mac Pro, including a 64-core model that’s part of a $19,000+ system.

The speculation comes from @LeaksApplePro, who claims at least three Mac Pro configurations will arrive next year featuring Arm-based SoCs that mix performance and efficiency cores, just like the M1. The rumored flagship comes with a monstrous 64 CPU cores (48 of which will be performance), 512GB of RAM, 128 GPU cores, and starts at $19,000.

Nineteen grand is a lot of money, but it's normal for a Mac Pro. You could spend over $50,000 on a top-spec Xeon-powered current model, and that’s without the $5,000+ Pro Display XDR and $700 wheels.

The middle configuration comes with 48 CPU cores (36 performance), 256GB of RAM, 64 GPU cores, and starts at $12,000. Meanwhile, the cheapest option consists of 32 CPU cores (24 performance), 64GB of RAM, and 32 GPU cores. It starts at $5,499, which around $100 cheaper than the current Mac Pro’s base model.

Apple has spent years trying to lessen its reliance on Intel, and given the M1’s success, we can certainly expect its in-house chips to start appearing in more Macs soon enough; it's partly why the iMac Pro has been discontinued. But the specs here should be taken with a huge grain of salt. One Twitter user noted that a 64-core desktop Mac Pro is unlikely to need 16 efficiency cores, adding that all models are likely to feature just four or eight of these low-power cores.

Permalink to story.

My question is, why on earth would a professional grade desktop need "efficiency" cores, why not all performance?
I imagine because idling, web browsing, and a lot of other daily routine things take very little processing, so it's a matter of power savings which well, potentially lowers electrical bill, lower temperatures when not crunching hella numbers, etc.

I imagine because idling, web browsing, and a lot of other daily routine things take very little processing, so it's a matter of power savings which well, potentially lowers electrical bill, lower temperatures when not crunching hella numbers, etc.

I would've thought generally CPU's were built to detect usage and power up/down based on whats going on and based on total usage required, I mean I get it but like, thought intel/amd figured out this kinda stuff ages ago lol

19k of ****. well done apple
To be fair, If you wanted a Threadripper 3990 workstation with similar specs, you'd probably be paying about the same amount of money...

While I doubt this performs as well as AMD's monster, since it doesn't actually exist yet, let's maybe wait until we have some benchmarks?

I would've thought generally CPU's were built to detect usage and power up/down based on whats going on and based on total usage required, I mean I get it but like, thought intel/amd figured out this kinda stuff ages ago lol

They did but if you make low wattage cores from design you can get like 1/4 of the power needs of a big core on low power mode.

How many iTards will actually go out and buy one. Sure it will be for work purposes but what a pathetic way to waste money. Mac Pro is simply an egregious rip-off of epic proportions, that they sell any is a sad indictment of humanity's stupidity.

Certainly M-platform has a lot of going for it. If they can get major studios to support new architecture without Rosetta2 should be extremely interesting. Just comparing paltry M1 in 15W envelope to 100W i9s in MacBooks. Seriously impressive stuff. And this architecture is kind of like Zen on AMD. Add double cores you double the performance and so on and on.

Of course Apple will squeeze the balls mercilessly with RAM expansions. They reached legendary scalping mastery in this particular segment charging ludicrous premiums.

Biggest problem with MacPros is perceiving it as a status symbol. Disproportionate amount of resources is poured into making eye pleasing (or not!) cases. Apple cashing in on literally brainless people who buy them to run as a Mac equivalent of everyday PC to watch videos on YT and browse internet. Last release of MP was just slap in the face. 6k$ for 580 Radeon and 256GB boot drive. Apple really f*** many potential buyers. Plus 5/6k LCD which is not very good (to put it mildly) and 1k$ monitor stand which SnazzyLabs did hilarious video about it. I re-watch it regularly when I need some laughs.

Soooooo ..... are those handles made to pick up the computer, or give you something to steady yourself with before you write the check ....... just saying

Both. They thought of everything!

How many iTards will actually go out and buy one. Sure it will be for work purposes but what a pathetic way to waste money. Mac Pro is simply an egregious rip-off of epic proportions, that they sell any is a sad indictment of humanity's stupidity.
That's a bit unfair. Once someone learns IOS or Windows it's difficult to learn the other. Some companies only produce software on Mac. I don't like the thought of spending more to get hardware not as powerful as other cheaper options especially when they can likely be fixed without paying the manufacturer or waiting for parts, they don't carry, to come in. But insulting people for the way they choose to spend their money isn't right also no one buys a Mac to save money and Apple draws people into their ecosystem then all of the sudden they are stuck buying Macs for years.

If I were a pro user, I would not buy one unless I was able to upgrade memory, gpu and storage. Plain and simple, you dont spend this kind of money on a locked PC.

You know, for some reason I can't bring myself to find a 64-core ARM CPU all that impressive. I'm trying to remember what that reason is...
AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-3990X-64-Core-CPU.jpg

OH YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT! :laughing:

Back