A couple BSOD questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am currently running on an approximately 2 week old installation of XP Home and I keep getting the "A problem has been detected..." error screen whenever I turn on my pc. At first I thought it was a new stick of ram I put in a week ago, so I ran memtest86+ for about 9 passes and came up with 65 errors. Thinking it was the new stick that was defective, I pulled it out and ran memtest again. After about 8 more passes, it was error free. So, I then assumed that my BSOD screens should be gone, but they are still coming up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would reinstalling windows fix this? Thanks

My specs:
AMD Athlon 3800+
MSI K8N Neo4 #MS-7125
2x512 sticks of Kingston 184-pin PC 3200 DDR 400 (not including the defective 1 GB stick)
nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

This is usually a software installation error... think about what is loading at boot, because one of the software in the load list is incorrectly installed or incorrect. Alternately, you can remove some of the suspect software.
If the problem started showing itself recently, that helps you narrow it down.
But it also can be software that requires more memory, or more memory speed. And it can be a defective driver... which can be fixed by removing the old driver and installing a new download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back