A good time to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenazari

Just looking around on the net on some hardware news, and I see that the latest pentium core 2's will be out soon, what does amd have to better them?

when Im upgrading I'll be doing my mobo, cpu and gpu at the same time, a bit costly but its needed which is annoying because I dont want to spend that much - got about £700 to upgrade - should be enough for a good gpu, cpu and mobo? what do you guys recommend?

Umm a 7900GT, a SLI motherboard if you want to do SLI in the future, and a E6400 or E6500 core 2 duo.

I am planning on building a PC in the near future with one of the new 7900GS's, get that GPU, its a great bang/buck card, plays everything you throw at it, im guessing.

For your graphic card, I would wait until dx10 cards come out. Nothing is more powerful than a core 2 duo, so I would get that as well. You should be able to stay in that budget.

well...

A good builder/DIY doesnt skimp on the power supply, motherboard and ram combo
since you are upgrading major componenents (motherboard, video card, cpu) your basicly gettting a new computer
the video card will require a better power supply, the mobo/cpu combo will require new ram, and the new psu might require a new case....
more odern motherboard are now lacking ide channels so you would need sata hard drives too...
that said you are getting a new computer..so you r not upgrading..

I wouldn't upgrade until DirectX 10 comes out and get a video card that will support it. But that's just my personal choice. The way I see it, when it comes to a computer spoil yourself and go for the best. Wait it out of need be. :)

yes but

Nanahara said:
I wouldn't upgrade until DirectX 10 comes out and get a video card that will support it. But that's just my personal choice. The way I see it, when it comes to a computer spoil yourself and go for the best. Wait it out of need be. :)
vista is coming out in about what?4 months? give it another 6 months to fix the bugs ans some..and then for the game developers to catch up and develop games with direct x 10 unless they have started as of now
plus you can still run vista with dx 9

Zilch on AMD

From what I have read in the press, AMD doesnt plan on releasing any 65nm chips until the Q2 or 3 of 2007. AMD needs to get on the ball with development or they are going to role reverse with Intel here really quick.

With AMD's buy out of ATI Nvidia chipset support may not be there in the future either.

I think the release of the core 2 duo line is going to kick start Intel into a long lived industry lead with performace. I think this is going to motivate them to release new qaulity products at a astounding rate. I dont think they will go back to the days of old where they just add cache and mhz to their product for sales. They had their **** handed to them by AMD for the past few years and I dont think they are going to let that happen again. But as a proud supporter of AMD I really hope they get it togeather really quick here.

There's definately a lot of new stuff coming out next year. Better processors, better software better video cards, better OS's... even the new SuSE looks great. No doubt that Vista will crush it, because Microsoft has all the attention now. There's a lot of stuff to look at. Upgrading now is a pretty big waste of money considering what's coming out within the next year. I'd say only upgrade soon if it's a have-to situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back