A little help with upgrading my pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsky303

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I need upgrading all that much but with Vista, DDR2 RAM and Quad Cores CPUs out there, I can't help but think I need to add a little juice to my gaming PC. Currently, my system specs are:

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 FX-55
4GB Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT (3GB effective on XP)
GeForce 8800GTX XT
300GB Maxtor 6B300S0
Windows XP Home Ed.

I'm pretty sure I now need to upgrade my CPU as Dual and Quad Cores seem to be doing more damage these days but that means a new motherboard and RAM. ...Ch'ching!

What do you guys think I should do, and if I need a new processor, motherboard and RAM then which ones would you advise me on getting?

Thanks for your time.

what socket is your cpu? you may be able to get a new cpu without needing a new mobo

i would say get an amd dual core cpu (they're usually cheaper - unless you have a good budget and don't mind getting a new mobo) and you probably won't need new ram unless yours is DDR, but if you get a mobo the same socket as your current cpu then you could probably keep your current ram

also if you want to have all your 4gb's of ram effective then get a 64-bit OS

p.s. i wouldn't bother with getting vista yet until sp1 is out

My mobo's socket 939. AM2 sockets aren't the same thing are they (sorry if I sound a little new to all of this) I think they're dying out or something! I think I'm gonna have to change my mobo, chip and RAM as my RAM is DDR. Are there any decent 939 chips out there or am I gonna have to get a new mobo, ram and chip?

you can still get some good dual core 939 cpu's

AM2 is 940 so it's not the same unfortunately

are you in the US or UK (or anywhere else ;)) so i can give links to the right website(s)

well im in the same situation,

I thought rather then spending £1500 on a new fandangled top spec PC to go out of date end of this year when Nvidia and ATi both have new cards coming out, plus USB3, plus a new processor being launched, I opted for spending £500ish which got me (not working yet, dodgy CPU!!)

Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2)

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

OCZ stealthxtreme 600w sli ready atx2 PSU

Antec NINE HUNDRED Gamers ATX Case

xfx 7950GT xxx edition

WD Raptor X HD

Pretty mid range system for a great price if you ask me.

this will keep me going till march/april next year now, where i can keep my case and HD and just get the new mobo/graphics/memory

I'm in the UK. Have been looking around on Ebuyer and Dabs. They're usually the cheapest to go hunting for this type of thing!

Think I'm gonna opt for the Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600 and take it from there. Just a pain I have to change nearly everything else but the graphics card, sound card, psu and case!

Lithium, yeah not bad for the price you paid!

you could still get this cpu which isn't that bad, especially for £50

you don't have to upgrade your pc if it's working fine as it is, but that cpu would get you a nice performance increase with a lot less impact on the wallet than a new cpu, mobo and ram ;)

remember though, things can only go down in price :)

Thanks for having a scout around for me, matie. Very nice of ya!
I just find it shocking when at the time I bought my pc (about 3yrs ago) my chip cost around £500 and now there's one on the market for £50 that's better than it... it IS better than it isn't it?

What do you think about the Q6600?

no problem mate :)

i'm pretty sure it's better than it, i couldn't find your one on there but that one is dual core at 2.2GHz per core

i think that the quad core cpu's are pretty cool (bragging rights is one thing haha) but unless you do really hard core photo editing, video editing or game 24/7 then you don't really need it because not all programs are using the 4 cores yet, and the quad core cpu's are basically two core 2 duo's stuck together

some programs aren't even using both cores of a dual core cpu yet :blackeye:

Your FX-55 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I know I'll stay with my FX-60 for a year or more depending on my finances. The only thing I'll change in the mean time is my Crossfire setup, and I'll end up getting Windows XP Pro 64 bit to avoid any memory issues. I'll probably end up purchasing two HD2900Pros with 1GB memory each and a new PSU.

When you get to the point where you can't play a game with your current setup, I'd invest in another GeForce 8800GTX XT and game from there untill the only thing you could do to make your computer faster would be to start over with a new rig.

Hey, you may want to buy Windows XP Pro 64 bit Version to allow your compter to use all of its memory. The 64 bit version of Windows XP Pro isn't the resource hog that Windows Vista is.

The FX-55 is still a powerhouse performer as Cinders said so for gaming, I'd prefer it over a weaker dual-core like the X2 3600+. Graphics card updates provide the best boost in performance but if it's a very fast card, then the CPU has to be fast enough to keep up, otherwise you'd have a bottleneck, where the CPU struggles to catch up with the card. So if you're thinking of getting an 8800 series card, get a good dual-core CPU like the X2 4400+.
And I highly recommend Windows Vista x64 over XP x64 since XP x64 is very buggy and has issues that still haven't been ironed out. Vista x64 is more stable.

Well Rage_3K_Moiz the stability of Wondows XP Pro 64 bit is something I didn't know and also something to think about. I'm going to try the trial software before I make my final decision.

Daveskater said:
what socket is your cpu? you may be able to get a new cpu without needing a new mobo

i would say get an amd dual core cpu (they're usually cheaper - unless you have a good budget and don't mind getting a new mobo) and you probably won't need new ram unless yours is DDR, but if you get a mobo the same socket as your current cpu then you could probably keep your current ram

also if you want to have all your 4gb's of ram effective then get a 64-bit OS

p.s. i wouldn't bother with getting vista yet until sp1 is out
i agree,a 64 bit system is a lot faster than the alternative.it seems to be a well kept secret.i built it when it first came out and am dissatisfied with any other.it is a very stable system and have never had the bsod.good luck(newegg had the best price for it.)

What's a 64-bit system and what is the alternative? If it is faster, how so?
@Cinders, I bet you will be disappointed. (now that's something you don't hear everyday do ya? ;))

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The FX-55 is still a powerhouse performer as Cinders said so for gaming, I'd prefer it over a weaker dual-core like the X2 3600+. Graphics card updates provide the best boost in performance but if it's a very fast card, then the CPU has to be fast enough to keep up, otherwise you'd have a bottleneck, where the CPU struggles to catch up with the card. So if you're thinking of getting an 8800 series card, get a good dual-core CPU like the X2 4400+.
And I highly recommend Windows Vista x64 over XP x64 since XP x64 is very buggy and has issues that still haven't been ironed out. Vista x64 is more stable.
you are wrong,wxp 64 is a lot more stable than vistaand not as invasive.vista puts what they want,where they want,when they want. i had vista ultimate and took it off going back to wxp 64.

dock98 said:
it is a 64 bit as opposd to 32.thats twice as fast with locating and sorting files etc
Bull****. I used to use Windows XP 32-bit and then switched to Windows XP Pro x64. There was no difference in file searching speeds at all.
dock98 said:
you are wrong,wxp 64 is a lot more stable than vistaand not as invasive.vista puts what they want,where they want,when they want.
Am I? Google for reviews about XP x64. It sucks for gaming, big-time. I also used it for some time and had frequent BSODs and crashes, which I couldn't attribute to my hardware at the time, since it worked perfectly on Ubuntu, which I had installed alongside XP x64.

to each his own.i installed ubuntu and it sucked. i have never had a bsod on wxp 64.how long did u have it.try http://www.planetamd64 if you want reviews about 64 bit.google is a bunch of whiners that dont know jack about wxp64

There is far more support, including drivers and updates, available for Vista x64 than there is for XP x64. I had it for a little over a month and hated it. I use Vista Home Premium x64 now and it's pretty stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back