A multiplayer-only version Call of Duty: Black Ops III is available on Steam for a limited period

midian182

Staff member

If you’ve ever wanted to experience the immensely popular multiplayer element of the recent Call of Duty games but have no interest in the single-player section, Activision has a deal that you may find interesting. Up until February 29, a special Starter Kit will be available on Steam for $14.99 that does away with the campaign and gives limited access to Call of Duty: Black Ops III’s multiplayer portion.

With the Multiplayer Starter Pack, you’ll get access to public ranked multiplayer matches, the weapon paint shop, gunsmith, the emblem editor, arena and freerun modes, theater and the black market.

In addition to the absence of the campaign, the pack also removes the Zombie mode, the ability to play in custom matches, access to Dead Ops arcade II and Nightmares mode, and the ability to Fresh Start your profile. Moreover, levels will be capped at 55, and there’s no option to Prestige.

The pack will also restrict access to mod tools or modded content and the unranked server browser when they roll out.

If you do buy the pack and decide you enjoy it enough to warrant purchasing the full game, the $14.99 will be deducted from its $60 price (or $85, if you opt for the Digital Delux Edition).

This isn’t the first instance of a multiplayer-only Black Ops III; due to the technical limitations of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the game was released on the last-gen consoles without the single-player campaign.

For a full FAQ on the Multiplayer Starter Pack, check out this page.

Permalink to story.

Now if they could offer Zombies stand alone without all the BS it could be worth something, it really is unfortunate that you need to pay full price just to play the Zombies portion of the game, and then again for the season pass which is for a couple freaking maps in the only game mode that I enjoy. Which may I add only comes with a single map to begin with! God I hate you Activision...

People who get this on Steam (PC users) will likely find out the hard way, MP on PC sucks. Nothing but game balancing issues mixed with some random lag that is happening. It's a nightmare for most ppl PC. Not to mention the constant cheating that is going on. While some ppl get caught, not all do.

Id be all in for a Zombies only game but Activision wouldnt sell many copies of CoD again and they know it so it's likely we wont see that ever happen.

People who get this on Steam (PC users) will likely find out the hard way, MP on PC sucks. Nothing but game balancing issues mixed with some random lag that is happening. It's a nightmare for most ppl PC. Not to mention the constant cheating that is going on. While some ppl get caught, not all do.

The game has been running rather well on my system with a GTX970, and that's at 3840x1080 resolution with everything maxed out. Stays pretty close to the 60 FPS mark with dips in to the 40s when the map gets really full of Zombies. That's probably why however because I refuse to play the regular multiplayer mode, I think it's pretty crap regardless of platform, but cheating on PC can't help it cause.

Id be all in for a Zombies only game but Activision wouldnt sell many copies of CoD again and they know it so it's likely we wont see that ever happen.

Absolutely right on there, it's likely a large enough percentage of people who buy the game just for Zombies that they couldn't afford to make it stand alone and sell it for a reasonable price, or straight up make it a full game with several maps to choose from at launch. They have the man power to do so, it's just never going to happen because profit.

Back