A new lithium-air battery design promises unprecedented energy density

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
The big picture: Among the many alternative solutions to traditional lithium-ion batteries, researchers are experimenting with lithium-air designs. A new innovation in the space could solve many of the issues previously exhibited by this technology.

A new paper published in Science describes the chemistry behind a novel lithium-air battery, an innovative design which could potentially provide way more energy density than traditional li-ion battery technology. It could serve as a real breakthrough for the battery market and a possible revolution for transportation and heavy-duty vehicles such as airplanes, trains and even submarines.

The new battery can sustain more than 1,000 recharge cycles with just a small five percent drop in energy efficiency and zero impact on coulombic efficiency. This means that all the initial battery material was still active, with no irreversible side reactions during the charge/recharge cycles.

The design conceived by researchers at the Illinois Institute of Technology uses a solid electrolyte based on a ceramic-polyethylene oxide composite, which is safer and more efficient compared to liquid electrolytes. Ceramic and polymer materials used as solid electrolytes have their own downsides when used separately but when combined, they can provide both the high ionic conductivity of ceramic and the high stability of the polymer.

The composite electrolyte was able to work at room temperature, a first for lithium-air batteries. According to Mohammad Asadi, assistant professor of chemical engineering at Illinois Tech, the solid-state electrolyte "contributes around 75 percent of the total energy density." There is still room for further improvement and by minimizing the thickness without compromising performance, the new design could achieve a "very, very high" energy density.

The lithium-air battery could potentially store one kilowatt-hour per kilogram or higher, which is four times greater than current lithium-ion technology. A lithium-air battery based on lithium oxide (Li2O) formation, the Science article says, can theoretically deliver an energy density that is "comparable to that of gasoline."

Going forward, Asadi plans to work with private industry partners to try and optimize the design for manufacturing. The researcher says the new technological breakthrough has opened "a big window of possibility" to actually bring lithium-air batteries to the market.

Permalink to story.

Looking forward to X times energy density improvement!

Which has been said of many promising new technologies over the years… I hate to think that this is yet another advancement that never makes it to market.

No drop to Coulombic efficiency over the cell's expected lifespan is a potential game changer. But as usual, it comes down to whether or not the technology passes the #1 rule of industry: can we make a significant profit on this after factoring in all the money spent of covering up the downsides?

The real breakthrough is not a more dense energy in a battery that is not yet available and possibly never will be available

The real breakthrough is in the efficiency of systems we already use, regardless of the battery's energy density that is currently available

More GaN please!

Pure Sine Inverters ONLY with standby power drain under 1 watt and efficiencies over 90% as a minimum

Low powered GaN inverters could be incredibly small and passively cooled

30 - 60 watt pure sine GaN inverters would sell out immediately

You could power them with 12 - 24 volts and even a USB - C cable, turning a standard 20,000mAH Power Bank into an AC source for sensitive electronics in a car or during emergencies

fix what we already use !

The technology is ALREADY HERE!

When is the biggest question for most of the groundbreaking battery tech.
And I can answer it by learning the history of battery evolution.
At best, it could take years.
And it is very possible that it will be 5-10 years,
It is interesting how hydrogen for some time seemed to be more promising tech with lower downsides than electric. And here we are having few companies investing little in hydrogen.
There is all night to use electricity for making hydrogen fuel, and nobody goes at night to charge their EV. I would still be happy if things turn around for hydrogen and cars.

I get the naysayers - but things must be improving - exploding phones or lipo batteries etc seem to be decreasing as a percentage.
Given this ultimately a trillion dollar industry - add in storage solutions for Solar power of all sizes etc - probably nearly every house will have some solar included in 20 years time if not sooner.
To put this in context we take for granted the accelerated speed of change - compare this to say the 18th century - or 2nd century BC

Add in the complexities involved, the supporting systems , the safety checks - it's quite unrealistic to not assume a 5 year plus phase - Given red tape can now add 18 months to something getting done in your home town . Pilot programs , legal IP agreements etc etc
So not really go fast and break things - as not so in-house ultimate use

They other issue is so many competing stuff coming forward - who do you choose , when do you get on

Given that - hopefully batteries like this fit into existing infrastructure with minimum changes

What's funny about ICE fanatics who are anti-electric cars - is that EVs will be game changing and give freedom - live on your dooms day prepper ranch - no need for gasoline with short shelf life - no need for power grid - have your own solar power, battery storage - your EV pickup , your battery gun - much easier than maintaining an ethanol plant - just use those corn , fruits to distill your hooch.
Us older folks ripped DC motors out of things and build simple toy cars - that could be your off the grid post-apocalyptic future.

And still reliance on lithium to go "green".

But I guess if the batteries can last a lot longer than li-ion, that's a decent theoretical step...

And still reliance on lithium to go "green".

But I guess if the batteries can last a lot longer than li-ion, that's a decent theoretical step...

What else would you rely on?

Lithium is the lightest solid element, has very low electronegativity, and is common in the Earth's crust. For a battery, it's pretty close to a perfect material to make your cathode from.

ICE has had over 100 years of engineering refinements and are still at most 35% efficient, the rest is waste heat. Electric motors are in the 90-95% efficient and provide 100% torque throughout its speed range. The batteries will continue to get more efficient, cheaper and safer. The true breakthrough will be integrating EV with a smart electric grid, in other words your EV will charge when prices are low and sell back when high.

It would be interesting to read an article on what happened to all the new proposed battery "solutions". You could say what was initially promised, in what time scale and why it either succeeded or failed.

It would be interesting to read an article on what happened to all the new proposed battery "solutions". You could say what was initially promised, in what time scale and why it either succeeded or failed.
There is not enough storage on the internet to write such an article......

What else would you rely on?

Lithium [is] close to a perfect material to make your cathode from.
Lithium batteries also contain toxic cobalt, manganese, and nickel, and lithium itself is toxic in larger quantities. Production of lithium is the real problem, however:

"...lithium extraction uses a lot of water—approximately 500,000 gallons per metric ton of lithium. To extract lithium, miners drill a hole in salt flats and pump salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface. After several months the water evaporates, leaving a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then placed into another evaporation pool. After between 12 and 18 months of this process, the mixture is filtered sufficiently that lithium carbonate can be extracted.

...there is the potential for toxic chemicals to leak from the evaporation pools into the water supply including hydrochloric acid, which is used in the processing of lithium, and waste products that are filtered out of the brine. In Australia and North America, lithium is mined from rock using chemicals to extract it into a useful form. In Nevada, researchers found impacts on fish as far as 150 miles downstream from a lithium processing operation...."

Lithium batteries also contain toxic cobalt, manganese, and nickel, and lithium itself is toxic in larger quantities. Production of lithium is the real problem, however:

"...lithium extraction uses a lot of water—approximately 500,000 gallons per metric ton of lithium. To extract lithium, miners drill a hole in salt flats and pump salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface. After several months the water evaporates, leaving a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then placed into another evaporation pool. After between 12 and 18 months of this process, the mixture is filtered sufficiently that lithium carbonate can be extracted.

...there is the potential for toxic chemicals to leak from the evaporation pools into the water supply including hydrochloric acid, which is used in the processing of lithium, and waste products that are filtered out of the brine. In Australia and North America, lithium is mined from rock using chemicals to extract it into a useful form. In Nevada, researchers found impacts on fish as far as 150 miles downstream from a lithium processing operation...."
Fracking uses as much water and produces more toxic waste.

Fracking uses as much water and produces more toxic waste.
Fracking uses pure water, injected deep underground. The water used in lithium mining has numerous caustic and poisonous chemicals added, and sits on the surface in vast evaporation ponds. You can see just for yourself the damage these cause in the photo series below:

Last edited:
I'm all for battery powered power tools, yard tools etc but I don't believe battery powered cars are a realistic approach to change the world.

I did recently see an article about hydrogen production and they made huge leaps in efficiently producing it they just need to make it larger scale.

I think the biggest hurdle would be to get the government's to take their focus off of electric and actually back hydrogen powered vehicles and production.

To put into perspective for my area at least for electric, we just had a few days where it went to -48C with the windchill and with soamy people staying inside the power grid was incredibly overwhelmed and started seeing blackouts.

There is very little around here currently for electric cars and maybe a half dozen charging stations within about 4 hours drive of me. What would happen to the grid if you now add a few thousand electric cars that need to be charged frequently?

Denser energy means BIGGER explosions
Why stop there? Why not point out how ridiculous it is to use a design that exposes Lithium to air? I am sure you realize that Lithium burns in Air, yes? Or more correctly, that Lithium burns when it reacts with the water vapor in air. So, a Lithium Air battery design must be insane, right?

Or could it be that people actually knowledgeable about this fact have found a way to prevent that from happening?

You tell me.

Why stop there? Why not point out how ridiculous it is to use a design that exposes Lithium to air? I am sure you realize that Lithium burns in Air, yes? Or more correctly, that Lithium burns when it reacts with the water vapor in air. So, a Lithium Air battery design must be insane, right?

Or could it be that people actually knowledgeable about this fact have found a way to prevent that from happening?

You tell me.
How the heck would I know?

Back