A question about installing OS on NVME

Larsenex

I will be buiding a new computer this spring using my tax refund and building around an I7 8700K

My question to you folks who have done so.

I am likely going to use an Asrok extreme 4 motherboard.

• z370 extreme 4 (asrok)
  • Samsung 960 Evo 250gig NVME M.2

The NVME was going only have Windows. That's it.

All that lovely space only for the bloatware that is Windows 10 Pro. Ill have a 4 terrabyte platter drive for storage and windows folders such as downloads, my documents and 'desktop'.

My question. I have never used NVME and have read stories about it not being seen. Do I need to do anything other then 'plug it into' the motherboard? My idea of this was to install just the nvme first, get windows 'happily' installed first with all updates then add a samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 gig for games and then the 4 terrabyte drive for storage.

Will I have problems installing and booting windows from this drive?

Any stories or experience you can share or teach me is most appreciated. Again I have experience with building computers and my horror story was to only have the ssd attached and installed first and no other drives.

Thanks!

I realize right up front this is sort of a vague answer. With that out of the way, I think Windows 10 is more likely to recognize it than Windows 7. This has also been an issue with a new type of USB driver, associated with USB 3.0. when attempting to install Windows 7 on Intel xx170 and later series mother boards.

In any event, (and IMHO), I think you'd be much better off, installing Windows, and all of your intended software, to an expendable SATA HDD, then imaging it across to the NMVE PCI-E drive.

Samsung's software for this purpose is excellent, and you can just stuff the original C:/ HDD on a shelf in case of emergency later. That saves you the price of Acronis software, but loses you the use of one obsolete HDD. It's a trade off, but one I do think is in your favor.

Ok, I appreciate that tip.

Has anyone done a full clean install of Win 10 Pro from disc directly to an M.2 drive?

This will be new hardware and Windows 10. I have heard that the imaging software for Samsung is very good. I have an 'existing' hard drive that is my currend SSD (Samsung 850) I am curious if I can 'image that drives OS and ONLY the OS to the M.2 or if it will want to bring all the games as well? The NVME is only going to be 250 gigs and wont hold all the games on my primary game drive.

The lone time I've used Samsung's transfer software was ion the manner I suggested. My issue was the USB drivers and getting Windows to continue the install after the supposed "hand off" off of USB to the OS. None of the super nerds could get Win 7 installed, because a Windows DVD was too slow for their taste, and they felt it necessary to try and plug it in via USB drive. The trick was to use PS-2 mouse and keyboard to complete the install.

Moving on to your issue, I think you're going to have to uninstall the games before you transfer the OS. Samsung's official position is to transfer only what you need.I had photo folders and whatnot on the desktop, that I moved to an aujxiliarry drive before transferring the OS, but I left in my Adobe imaging installed programs, which obviously, also went into my saved HDD image.

That's about all I got.

After all, I'm one of those uber-Luddites who wouldn't touch Win 10 with someone else's barge pole.

Last edited:
I've done several Windows 10 64-bit installs directly to NVMe drives - haven't had any issues. I've done it with Z170, X99, X299, and X399 and I've never run into an issue. I did not have to do anything special to get it installed.

I've done several Windows 10 64-bit installs directly to NVMe drives - haven't had any issues. I've done it with Z170, X99, X299, and X399 and I've never run into an issue. I did not have to do anything special to get it installed.

^^^ LNC, So I would install my nvme in its pci m.2 slot on the motherboard, and in bios make sure its 'seen' and the first boot device from there I would hook up the cd drive and proceed to drop in my windows disc and install...

Ha! I rarely use physical media these days unless I'm watching something specifically for sound.
OK. IMHO, the time spent preparing a bootable USB Window "disc", vs. simply slapping a Windows disc into a DVD drive, pretty much evens out in the end. Neither instance requires much babysitting, but from a disc, and old school peripherals, you can still install Windows 7, in places which would annoy the crap out of Satya Nadella! (y)

As for the need for physical media, I realize it's on the cutting edge of tech suave to have gotten rid of it.

But then on the other hand, I hear a lot of pissing and moaning coming from "the peanut gallery", about how Disney Studios is going to start yet another streaming service which they'll "be forced to join", if they now want to see Marvel Studio's features.

And how great it is that cable has been broken up to allow "ala carte" purchasing of individual themed services. Well, this Luddite still uses OTA TV, (Which BTW has better scripted programming that cable), is able to use the lowest, cheapest tier of FIOS, (no streaming needed), and spends absolute tops, $4.50 a month at "The Box", at least a dozen of which are within 5 miles of my shack.

In conclusion, "long live the DVD drive", everybody should have at least one in all of their machines.

And BTW, I see you picked up two cheap likes from @holdum323.& @cliffordcooley. They give anybody an immediate "like"who disagrees with me. Cheers! :D

Oh man I hope that's not the only reason they gave me a like... and I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you - that case just didn't fit my need. If I still used optical drives then I might use a DVD but the last couple of cases I've built with don't have that as an option. Now that I'm on the up-swing again (I believe all of this stuff is on a pendulum and goes from behind and back out to the front) with tech I'm constantly sitting in a place where I'm on the forefront of tech. Give it another few months and I'll be back on the down-swing and falling behind again.

@LNCPapa Well, as you may or may not know, a lot of my interest here, isn't in the interest of tech itself, but rather the psychological, and sociological impacts on the people who embrace it.

Every one of my banking clients, forces me to run a gauntlet of enticements to "get rid of paper statements", which are spurned by me, on a monthly basis. They don't possess the "concern for the environment" they clain to have. In fact, Capital One, has denied me an envelope to mail in my payments for years, citing the whole "save a tree" horse poo.

Yet, in the meantime, they were sending me, on a monthly basis, an enticement for another credit card by mail. The mailer was lush, shiny, and enticing, with great promises of ONLY a 19.99% APR. These advertisements had to be worth a dollar a pop, at minimum.

My point at telling you this story is quite simple. The more power and control you concede to our corporations, the more power they will want and abuse. This is particularly true of media, infested with DRM. I can go to Redbox and get a new release movie for $1.50. However, if that movie is so called "blockbuster", then it's going to cost me $5.00 at Amazon, but they will let you have the crap for a deuce. If you buy a movie electronically, then you have all the garbage DRM it comes with, and you're sort of stuck with it on the drive it was downloaded to. So, no thanks, I'll keep my sh!tty, antiquated, DVD drive, until they pry it from my cold, dead, hands.

In "conclusion", (in reality, you know I'm never done talking), I simply won't buy a case without one of those "out of fashion", external 5.25" drive slots. In my "defense", I'm a silly old man, if only for the fact I'm no longer the, "slave to fashion", I once was. :D

Last edited:
It wasn't, I liked your reference to Rufus and installing from USB stick..
But yet, here you are.. :D

...[ ]....Everyone knows you wouldn't be yourself if you wasn't degrading others. For some reason even though it is against site policy, you go without penalty all the time. There is not a day goes by you are not badgering someone. I don't understand why they allow you to stay. You badgered Holdum and accused him of never bringing anything to a topic, while you do the same 90% of the time. That's irony for you again of your own making.

BTW, "holdum" has had no fewer than 3 of his "threads" yanked over the past week. Methinks sometimes Cliff, you back the wrong horse..

There is always losers at a horse track. Methinks if true, I'm not the only one.
Who is then, I prithee tell me? The people who actually are in charge, or you who only imagines he is?

And I suppose I could be wrong about the reasons both you and Mr. holdum, show up at any thread where I'm involved in even the slightest difference of opinion, dishing out likes to the "opposing viewpoint", but I seriously doubt they'd survive a polygraph.

I'm not following you around, we simply end up in the same threads. We must have the same interest, even if they are of different opinions.

I have the Z-170 chipset and an Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive. I use Microsoft Media Tool to download a create USB stick that is recognized when I restart computer. I had no problems with Win 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
I don't recall the initial install, but there is the whole licence deal. In my case I upgraded Win 8.1 to 10 until I saw it was activated (the free update). Then I did a clean install and it activated fine. At most I might have hit F8 to bring up the boot menu and pick what I needed. I wish I could be a little more specific, but it's been awhile since I last did clean install, but I don't recall any problems at all.

Back