A question

Vassal24352

ok, vassil3427 is over at my house and there is a disagreement so to say. How do you pronounce cache as in like his hard drive has an 8mb cache? Like "catch" or like a weapons"cache"??? This is an argument that must be resolved:) !

yeah we know each other (i was the original vassal:) ) anywho that so far makes 2 for "cash-aye":grinthumb and 1 for "catch"

You could have 8MB of cash...

Open a text editor, and press Shift+4, and hold it down. Then select all of what you have, copy it, then paste it until the document is 8MB in size :giddy:

The correct pronunciation of cache is the way you'd say cash.

Just to back up my claim click here

i have always known its pronounced "cash" yet im ignorant and love to be different so ive always pronounced it "CASH AY"

In reply to Vehementi's 2nd reply to our post here, yea we know each other, i referred him to this site:grinthumb ..techspot is great!

Originally posted by LNCPapa
The correct pronunciation of cache is the way you'd say cash.

Just to back up my claim click here
You see the link I posted before yours? Same one. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

Cache
As defined at www.webopedia.com

Pronounced cash, a special high-speed storage mechanism. It can be either a reserved section of main memory or an independent high-speed storage device. Two types of caching are commonly used in personal computers: memory caching and disk caching.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cache.html

Cache (Pronounced cash,)
n.
"A special high-speed storage mechanism. It can be either a reserved section of main memory or an independent high-speed storage device. Two types of caching are commonly used in personal computers: memory caching and disk caching.

....middle of article snipped ....

"When data is found in the cache, it is called a cache hit, and the effectiveness of a cache is judged by its hit rate. Many cache systems use a technique known as smart caching, in which the system can recognize certain types of frequently used data. The strategies for determining which information should be kept in the cache constitute some of the more interesting problems in computer science."

Additional meaning
v.
To cache a piece of data to (place it in) fast access computer memory, or to cache (move a snapshot of) a Web page to disk for faster retrieval on future calls of that particular page. The act of caching.

The English word pronounced "kashay" has a different spelling, and definition, as follows.

ca·chet (kă-shā')
n.
A mark or quality, as of distinction, individuality, or authenticity: “Federal courts have a certain cachet which state courts lack” (Christian Science Monitor).
A seal on a document, such as a letter.

A commemorative design stamped on an envelope to mark a postal or philatelic event.
A motto forming part of a postal cancellation.
A kind of wafer capsule formerly used by pharmacists for presenting an unpleasant-tasting drug.
[French, from Old French, from cacher, to press. See cache.]

Back