A random reset, and now everything is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalin

3 weeks ago I built myself a new computer, and all has been fine for that time, until yesterday. I was playing Fallout 3, was running smoothly as normal, when suddenly my PC just randomly reset, no BSOD or anything. Since then, it's been running much slower than usual. Boot up is a lot slower, and games especially, for example loading my save in Fallout 3 has gone from 20 seconds to about 2 minutes, and loading a map in Battlefield 2 about the same. It seems to be slowest after a fresh boot up in the morning (difficult to say for definate though because it happened yesterday), so the loading time in games will be the 2 minutes, and then after the first load of whatever it is, it seems to be back to normal, however it is still a lot slower than usual. I'm also noticing frequent stuttering and constant lockups in Fallout 3 that I never had before.
Also, I ran a disk check, and at stage 4 (verifying file data) is went at snails pace, getting to 8% after 1 1/2 hours.

This is what I upgraded to -

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty
Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
XFX HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan

Some help please!

Hi Thalin

Did you check whether your system was overheating whilst playing the game? This might have caused the initial shutdown. Keep track of your temperature settings. Do you only experience sluggishness whilst playing games or when doing anything else as well (browsing, scrolling, opening other programs etc) ....

Spyder_1386 :)

Hi Thalin

Did you check whether your system was overheating whilst playing the game? This might have caused the initial shutdown. Keep track of your temperature settings. Do you only experience sluggishness whilst playing games or when doing anything else as well (browsing, scrolling, opening other programs etc) ....

Spyder_1386 :)

No I didn't check the temp, I must admit. It seems to be sluggier in generally everything, compared to what it was like when I first booted up with the new components 3 weeks ago. It's mainly sluggish when it first starts up, once its running it seems be OK, although this isn't connected to the load times I mentioned in games, that's slow the first time I load no matter how long the PC has been on, if that makes sense.
Looking through the event log, I think this may the correct entry. I'm pretty sure it happened at this time -

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5300/evlog.jpg

The warning entry states this - 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.'

The atapi entry states this - 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.'

And it now seems like Fallout 3 is unplayable, the save takes 2 minutes to load instead of the original 10 seconds, and the game locks up within 2 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back