A simple question around heat vs speed?

Starsky303

KFA2 GTX 480 LTD OC Edition or a Geforce 580?

I know the 580's a faster card but it's more expensive and doesn't run as cool as the former. I'm also aware that the 580 is using new vapour-chamber tech etc. which makes it run cooler than previous Nvidia cards but I've got an issue with heat. Believe me, my case is cool (in both uses of the term) and tidy but I've always had a problem with graphics card temps and now there's a card (the 480 above) which has brought the temperatures right down to nowhere near boiling point, without the use of water cooling.

That said, because of the use of the fans on the 480, the air that is blown away from the card would circulate the inside of the case... then again my case should dispel it. Am I ranting?

What should I do?

Please help!

"I know the 580's a faster card but it's more expensive and doesn't run as cool as the former. I'm also aware that the 580 is using new vapour-chamber tech etc. which makes it run cooler than previous Nvidia cards"

First you say that the GTX 580 doesn't run as cool as an GTX 480, then you say it does. I dont really get why your even posting this. Are you asking if you should buy a GTX 480 or 580 and weather or not you should water cool the video card you do buy?

Yeah, I think I over complicated things. The question should've been:
A KFA2 GTX 480 LTD OC Edition or a Geforce 580?

I'm just worried about Nvidia's track record of heat and whether or not the new cooling system on the 580, really will bring the temps down. The KFA2 GTX 480 LTD OC Edition has three large fans which bring the temps of the 480 chipset right down. This card is also cheaper than a 580. So which one?

If you can afford both, you should be purchasing the GTX580, because its newer, more efficient, more powerful and runs cooler than the GTX480.

If it was me though, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the AMD HD6950/70's to be released. You might get a better deal at the price with an even better GPU.

How about a GTX 570? It's pretty much in-line performance wise to the GTX 480 but it's cheaper, cooler & less power hungry.

Or you could wait and see what AMD has to offer in the next couple of days like Leeky mentioned.

Back