A slight mis-calculation on ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aolish

Didn't know where to put this, so if this is the wrong place then i apologize. I just bought some ram and realized a slight mis-calculation lol .... the ram i have in my system now is 2x 512 sticks for 1GB but the ram i just bought is 2x 1GB sticks... NOT 2x 512 sticks, does it make a difference??? Other then that its the same ram type and speed.

IF the sticks will work fine together am I able to still enable dual channel in all four sticks even tho two sticks are 512 and the other two are 1GBs?? thx for any info!

ok so I took out the 2x 512MB and just installed in the 2GBs of ram, i first want to see if there are any problems with the 2GBs of ram.

I noticed everything is a bit slower now. Especially when booting. the XP startup just seems a lot longer then when i had my 1GB. Maybe 3 times longer. I do remember back when I first had my older Athlon XP system i had a similar problem. I installed more ram into the Athlon XP system and everything was just slower... but over time it went normal by itself... especially after a format. Is this a common thing when installing in ram to current xp installs or systems? Or maybe a format is required to really get the best out of the new ram?

No, it shouldn't be. I've never noticed any slowness after adding more memory.

One thing that some boards might do is change the memory speed settings in BIOS (such as command rate to 2T), but that shouldn't be noticeable in normal OS use.

Is XP slow in safe mode as well?

Mictlantecuhtli said:
No, it shouldn't be. I've never noticed any slowness after adding more memory.

One thing that some boards might do is change the memory speed settings in BIOS (such as command rate to 2T), but that shouldn't be noticeable in normal OS use.

Is XP slow in safe mode as well?

Yes, pretty much the same thing.

Tmagic650 said:
What are the specs of the old RAM compared to the new RAM?

this is the ram i bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

I just noticed that my page file is only set to 1536 (I had 1GB before).. seems that when i installed the 2GB it didn't set the page file, i thought this was automatic? What should the page file be set at for 2 GB, anyone know???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back