A 'Thanks' Button

Will40

Mods,

I'd like to see a 'Thanks' button placed beside the 'Quote' button on a post.

In my own case, particularly for the Tech Support Forums, and the Guides & Tutorials sections, however, it could be used for anyone. I've used both these forums in the past with great success. It's a quick & simple way of letting someone know their time & effort is appreciated. :approve:

As an afterthought, it also could cut down on the amount of posts in some sections, and would therefore save trawling through numerous pages of posts.

Keep up the great work!
Will

My feeling is that rather than a straight thanks, which is still appreciated by the way, we would rather know if the problem was fixed and what fixed it. When we find out one of our suggestions did the trick, it usually warms our fuzzy little hearts.

It's not clear to me how the proposed thanks button will reduce the number of posts since it will be even easier to create posts.

Also, as an aside, only admins or developers could implement such a thing if it is feasible in the first place.

Thank you for the feedback Will40.

We've gone back and forth about implementing a Thanks button but as I've commented in other threads, we will soon migrate to a new much improved community system that will come stock with new tools to keep track of your thread activity and participation.

Related to the "thank you" plug-in that you suggest is a like/+1 system for individual posts. We will also reevaluate the implementation of tagging threads "solved", but we will only know for sure once we migrate to the new software in the coming months.

I know in the past, I supported and basically got Julio to implement a thumbs up and thumbs down system. While it works fine on lots of sites, it was an epic failure here, people take things too personally here I think. I suppose the thanks idea works because it basically is the thumbs up and thumbs down idea but without the negative option.

True, we ran a trial of vB's reputation system but it's not really the same because it applied to the user profile and not to isolated posts, so in the end it became more destructive than anything else.

Yes, I can see where the 'Thumbs Up/Down' would cause contention!

@mailpup: The Thanks I was thinking of would be similar to how it is used here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391630

At the bottom of the very first post, you can see the thanks from users, which is how it would reduce the number of posts.

Feedback on how it solves peoples issues would be a tad more complex I would imagine! However, I think this is a pretty simple way to show appreciation to a poster.

@Julio: Looking forward to seeing the new improved site!

Back