A third of American adults don't have broadband access at home

Shawn Knight

Staff member

disconnected america internet pew broadband access

It may be tough to believe given our connected audience but it’s true: nearly one out of every three adults in the US don't have high speed Internet access at home. What’s more, three percent of American adults still connect to the web using a dial-up connection – a figure that’s held steady over the past two years – according to the latest survey from Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project.

The research firm further found that the number of adults that don’t use the Internet has dropped by 50 percent over the past five years, from 30 percent to just 15 percent. It appears that much of this growth comes from smartphone usage and accessing the web at work.

As was the case in previous research, college graduates, adults under age 50 and adults living in households earning at least $50,000, as well as whites and adults living in urban or suburban areas represent those with the highest rates of home broadband adoption.

Kathryn Zickuhr, research associate for the Pew Research Center’s Internet Project and lead author of the report said they’ve consistently found that age, education and household income are among the strongest factors associated with home broadband adoption. Many dial-up users cite cost and access as the main reasons they don’t have broadband, she said, but for adults who don’t use the Internet at all, a lack of interest is often the main issue.

Elsewhere, 46 percent of Americans polled said they have both a smartphone and broadband access at home. 24 percent reported having broadband but no smartphone while 10 percent had a smartphone without high-speed Internet access at home.

Permalink to story.

And (apparently) microsoft's research says otherwise.

Unless Microsoft knew this and just didn't want to sell many Xbox Ones in the first place?

All in all, I personally didn't expect the figure to be that high.

I think your title is a little misleading - it kinda implies that they have no broadband access whatsoever. I went to the original article and found this:

"?Many dial-up users cite cost and access as the main reasons they don?t have broadband, but for adults who don?t use the internet at all, a lack of interest is often the main issue.?

So take away those who 1) can't afford or 2) have no interest, then how many people really have NO access to broadband? I mean even the most remote places have access to at least satellite broadband. I have a buddy who lives on a small island (yes, he really lives on an island), and manages broadband access.

Dial up, the only thing I used it for was to find cheats for video games.

Seeing as it takes roughly 3 minutes to download a 1mb web page on a 56kb/s connection and costs about 1p per minute (in the UK), wouldn't it be better to just foot the bill and pay out the cash for the convenience of not having to sit at your computer for 10-20 minutes?

We use broadband for entertainment, and a lot of that entertainment is video. I'd like to know how many have neither broadband or cable? I have no cable, but that's because the internet helps replace the missing entertainment.

Whose fault is this? They make is so expensive! It use to be free from NetZero Dial-up and BlueLight Internet Service from Kmart just had to look at ads. Both were on CD you pickup for free. Unlimited everything for free just needed a 56K Modem (aka 40 to 53.3K). I use to have both when they were free and they had stopped. Back then Juno was free for email.

Dial-up, then DSL then Cable pretty much watch prices climb and out of control today.. I have 105 mbps down and 20 mbps up. Max I get is 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. Pretty quick. Not cheap either!

For the 2/3 who do have broadband access, I wonder for what fraction the service is anything more than a luxury? A pretty small number, I'd surmise.

Oh. I forgot all about dial up, they still do that ?

I was going to say that most adults don't have access to the Internet in general cause their kids are always on-line playing, getting fat. When they should be outside playing games, jumping in lakes, swinging from trees, breaking bones. Living. Ya know?

Only then will they get their broadband back.

Lol, here in the Philippines, telecommunication companies offer 'broadband':
wimax 512kbps plan (or 64kBps) and 1mbps plan for less than 1000 pesos/month (23.26$ at 1$=43php)
dsl plan for roughly the same internet speed and monthly fees.

higher (dsl/fiber/wimax/lte) speeds are also available but are more expensive than the introductory 'broadband'. :(

(I envy korea internet: cheap and very fast. :) )

funny thing is while home 'broadband' internet is only available to those who can afford a monthly payment, the ordinary Filipino on a more restrictive budget can now access internet thru the use of "baryanet", a time-based, coin-operated internet business wherein a user can drop a 1-peso coin for ~5 minutes internet/game time or a 5-peso coin for ~25 minutes internet/game time. :)

Whose fault is this? They make is so expensive! It use to be free from NetZero Dial-up and BlueLight Internet Service from Kmart just had to look at ads. Both were on CD you pickup for free. Unlimited everything for free just needed a 56K Modem (aka 40 to 53.3K). I use to have both when they were free and they had stopped. Back then Juno was free for email.

Dial-up, then DSL then Cable pretty much watch prices climb and out of control today.. I have 105 mbps down and 20 mbps up. Max I get is 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. Pretty quick. Not cheap either!

Shesh, I pay through the NOSE for 35M down and 4M up... and that's the BEST I can find... And I'm not even rural and I'm in a major Tech city (Austin). Just in the one corner that got the shaft. What I wouldn't give for just 22M up... For my $150/month, I darn well should already have it. Yup, they are TOO darn greedy!!!

The price is a major stumbling block for most worldwide. Here in South Africa our maximum domestic DSL speed is 10 meg down & 4 meg up and there are not a helluva lot of households that have it including the rich thanks to government narcissistic monopolisation.

Shesh, I pay through the NOSE for 35M down and 4M up... and that's the BEST I can find... And I'm not even rural and I'm in a major Tech city (Austin). Just in the one corner that got the shaft. What I wouldn't give for just 22M up... For my $150/month, I darn well should already have it. Yup, they are TOO darn greedy!!!

Yes there greedy! You might have to get on top of them, but what your paying there you could get 210 mbps down and 40 mpbs up. I am not paying that much for what I have less than $80 bucks. Just to get that rate I had to fight it just base 105 mpbs and 20 mpbs. I get the 132 mbps and 22 mbps.

AT&T UV max is 24 mbps down here but they don't offer that near me the max is something like 18 mbps the prices are ridiculous.

I think your title is a little misleading - it kinda implies that they have no broadband access whatsoever. I went to the original article and found this:

"?Many dial-up users cite cost and access as the main reasons they don?t have broadband, but for adults who don?t use the internet at all, a lack of interest is often the main issue.?

So take away those who 1) can't afford or 2) have no interest, then how many people really have NO access to broadband? I mean even the most remote places have access to at least satellite broadband. I have a buddy who lives on a small island (yes, he really lives on an island), and manages broadband access.

About 20% of the US population has no broadband access. Satellite doesn't count because its a horribly expensive and incredibly limited joke. The US has the lowest broadband penetration of any western nation. Pretty pathetic, eh?

Cellular Internet or WiFi Tethering the only issue with this type of service is data plan charges. Just could use it for email, instant messages and surfing the web. But not for watching videos off Netflix. You could but costly. Doesn't makes sense for that cost. Where pre-paid doesn't charge for data but the data stream down is sluggish.

Most people who live up in the hills that don't have electric sure they not going to have internet. You have the homeless they can't be counted. Again we should have homeless here in American either.

No matter what there is always dial-up, free internet at certain locations. Other than that the cost for the services are really high.

You are using both "high speed" and "broadband" terms interchangeably. Broadband is defined as anything above 10mbps. High speed is anything over dial-up. So which is it?

You are using both "high speed" and "broadband" terms interchangeably. Broadband is defined as anything above 10mbps. High speed is anything over dial-up. So which is it?

What? No, Broadband is defined by the use of ADSL which is 512Kbps or more, ADSL2+ Annex M I believe is the fastest you can go with 24Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up, You can line bond though.

An SDSL line I think is also considered Broadband but it is unusual to see a single SDSL line, normally it's 4 or more bonded lines to make a 10Mbps up and down.

Fibre isn't clearly defined, It seems to be just a generic way of describing the type of line you use as I have friends on Fibre who get 22Mbps down and 5 up while I get 78Mbps down and 19.5Mbps up.

"High Speed" is defined on several sites, including Google itself, as anything from Broadband upwards, So that incudes ADSL, SDSL, Fibre, Cable, T1 etc...

Many dial-up users cite cost and access as the main reasons they don’t have broadband, she said, but for adults who don’t use the Internet at all, a lack of interest is often the main issue.

There's a term that describe those who lack interest in broadband: they are called Luddites.

People on dial up, are most likely those that don't use the internet but for checking email, and at that, probably once every week. Some people just don't want the internet, but, that isn't what this story is about. You'll start to see stories about how it "isn't fair" that some have internet, and others don't, which will of course, lead to another stupid government program, to provide "free" internet access to those that don't have it, and of course, those that do, will be forced to pick up the cost for more freeloaders.
I see people all the time in public libraries, accessing the free internet, why can't that continue, and leave it alone? Because government wants to have its hands in your back pocket all the time.

Well someone has to manage the way things run in this country other wise it would be all up to the Internet Service Providers and we all know how they BIG ISP are. But we need more choices and make Cell, Cable or DSL Internet more affordable instead of the greedy BIG ISP just getting what they can out of us with low speeds with high prices for them!

Lol, here in the Philippines, telecommunication companies offer 'broadband':
wimax 512kbps plan (or 64kBps) and 1mbps plan for less than 1000 pesos/month (23.26$ at 1$=43php)
dsl plan for roughly the same internet speed and monthly fees.

higher (dsl/fiber/wimax/lte) speeds are also available but are more expensive than the introductory 'broadband'. :(

(I envy korea internet: cheap and very fast. :) )

funny thing is while home 'broadband' internet is only available to those who can afford a monthly payment, the ordinary Filipino on a more restrictive budget can now access internet thru the use of "baryanet", a time-based, coin-operated internet business wherein a user can drop a 1-peso coin for ~5 minutes internet/game time or a 5-peso coin for ~25 minutes internet/game time. :)

PHP telco are overpricing for a slow connection yet they use the word "reliable" and "unlimited" is pretty much lies. heck dial-up connection was more honest than telco's today.

Back