A very stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

A question

Will I be able to see anything on the screen if I don't have any memory or a hard drive hooked up? (I have a gfx card, cpu, mobo and cd-rom).

If I could pop in my gfx card and turn on the comp. Will I see anything? (as you can tell, I want to use this comp so bad!)

Hey, at least a BIOS? :p

Yes, you should be able to see something...

You'll get an error message telling you that you don't have any ram installed, and you might be able to get into the BIOS...

But why do you want to use the computer when all you can hope to do is browse the BIOS settings?

I plugged in my PCI gfx card and got nothing. I had only the CPU and gfx card in.

I'd like to check my CPU temperature. I'd also like to be able to see something for the money I paid :D

That's actually NOT a stupid question, you know.

A stupid question is one where the answer is already instantly apparent, or which serves no purpose.

"Why are you asleep?" Might be one.

Well, some people may think I'm wierd that I wanna use my comp when there's no RAM or hard drive in it :D

Hmmm, why couldn't I see anything then? Wierd.

You've got something not seated properly.

I said your question wasn't stupid, I didn't say trying to use your machine with no RAM in it wasn't. It is.

Ok, I plugged in an AGP card (Radeon 9800), keyboard and started up. Nothing, same beeps.

The CPU was installed today and it's as secure as anything. I followed instructions so it is perfectly secure.

I'm on a P4P800-Deluxe, I think it still wants memory before anything else. Too bad I don't have any spare DDR laying around since we have no DDR computer.

I was right, I can't use it until I get RAM. Asus tech support said, "That is also a RAM conflict on this board."

Yay, it's not broken :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back