Absurd naming conventions (part 746 of a neverending series)

dividebyzero

AMD have released their new-ish graphics part numbers for systems that pair Llano APU’s with desktop discrete cards.
amd_dual_graphics.jpg

The standout seems to be HD 6530D or 6550D (APU) + HD 6670 (discrete) = HD 6990D2, which seems to either a huuuuuuge step up in hybrid crossfire, or a guaranteed source of confusion (at the very least).

An already mind-boggling and congested graphics market is about to hit eleven on the one-to-ten scale.

[VR-Zone]

You're maybe under the impression that this will be the last of them? I'll take that bet. Intel and Nvidia's PR detachment's see this and I can see Optimus spawning a whole raft of GTX581, 582, etc...(they may go with decimals once they hit GTX599)
Just out of interest, when was the last time a vendor added fifteen new product numbers (in addition to new SKU's) to their inventory/PR bullet-points on a launch day?

You're maybe under the impression that this will be the last of them? I'll take that bet. Intel and Nvidia's PR detachment's see this and I can see Optimus spawning a whole raft of GTX581, 582, etc...(they may go with decimals once they hit GTX599)
Just out of interest, when was the last time a vendor added fifteen new product numbers (in addition to new SKU's) to their inventory/PR bullet-points on a launch day?

dividebyzero;1056117]You're maybe under the impression that this will be the last of them?

Hell no!...I meant keep brining them to the forefront.
This can't possibly be to muddy the waters can it? I think the guys in the back room are just out of touch.

Who knows?
I wouldn't have thought the launch of Llano would need to muddy the waters. If anything, I would think the reverse would be true. The kind of people buying Llano would probably be mainstream OEM buyers and mainstream/budget DIY - the numbers are likely to be confusing (more confusing given Llano's SKU naming scheme) when all a great many of these people are after is an "unconfusing" straightforward system that doesn't require ubertech components or knowledge base.
The OEM's on the other hand, would obviously relish a whole log table book of new "models"- but I would have thought that they would opt for more auto-based superlatives (GT, GTO), or maybe bring back XT, XTX etc. (can't have enough suffixes!)

Back