Access blocked to HSBC Web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

John R

Hi All,

Hope you can help me...I know there have been several scams on e-mail recently to try and get HSBC customers to give out account numbers and such...well 2 weeks ago I recieved one of these mails and promply deleted it...However, now I am unable to load the HSBC site into my browser. To be more acurate, the address appears in the address bar and the browser (IE) tells be the page is loaded, but I just see a blank white page. I can access the same site (HSBC UK homepage) from other pc's but not mine.

Any clues on whats happening and how I can solve it ?

Thanks John

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Something is obviously amiss. Possibly you have been hijacked.

Go HERE and follow the instructions carefully. Print them out if you can.

Once you have done that go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I Thought I was up late

Thanks Howard, I have HJT loaded now so I'll do the scan and stuff tomorrow and post the results when I'm more awake.

Ta

John

Finally got rount to it...

:suspiciou Hi again,

OK so printed instructions,
Followed instructions (as best as I could)

PC is running faster, no doubt about that, and there have been no attempts to log on to the net without me doing a thing (so far)...but I still get a blank page when I goto "http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2"

I attach my latest HJT log file...I think there are some suspect 04 types on here, what do you think?

John :suspiciou

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 6
Boot in Safe Mode, then run HJT and 'fix' these:
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {C1EA1782-8E6E-4ea4-9800-B68DE41F1A26} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: PB Home - {3A5F8C80-1461-11D3-A398-87BECCD49B35} - http://www.freeserve.net/packard-bell/ (file missing) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: Wanadoo - {1462651F-F4BA-4C76-A001-C4284D0FE16E} - http://www.wanadoo.fr (file missing) (HKCU)

Check the size of mstask.exe and where it is located.
If not in \windows\system32 and/or less than circa 100KB report back.

OK Done That...

RBS,

I have "fixed" the lines as suggested. Still no visability on HSBC.

mstask.exe is living in \windows\system and is 110KB

Have attached my latest HJT log file

Anything else to try ?

John :confused:

The only one that looks out of place is this one: C:\MSOFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
Normally Office is installed somewhere like c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
You'll have to be the judge here.

Just saw, that you live in Paris.
It would not be beyond the French government to interfere with your connection to a UK bank! ;)
After all they loathe anything non-French.

BTW, did you check if perhaps your firewall is blocking that connection, or has it been put on some blacklist in the Antivirus software?

John R said:
Hi All,

Hope you can help me...I can access the same site (HSBC UK homepage) from other pc's but not mine.

Any clues on whats happening and how I can solve it ?

Thanks John

empty the browser cache, quit and restart it, then access the site

When you've been through all of the above download Firefox 1.03. This is a great browser and it works fine for me on HSBC.

Boots

OK one at a time...

RBS: I have checked the hosts file and can't see any reference to HSBC, but wouldn't know how to check anything else...and I don't think I have a firewall. :confused:

jobeard: Should I be embarrassed about asking how to do this ? :blush:

IronDuke: Read a lot about firefox recently and will certainly be looking into it some more....once I get access to HSBC back.

Thanks, I keep you posted

John

Firstly GET a firewall Zone Alarm & Kerio do free versions. Install Firefox - it'll come off easy if you don't like it and it will give you a different way into HSBC that may work.

John R said:
OK one at a time...

(1)I don't think I have a firewall.

(2) jobeard: Should I be embarrassed about asking how to do this ?

(3) IronDuke: Read a lot about firefox recently and will certainly be looking into it some more....once I get access to HSBC back.

John

(2) assuming you're running IE
(btw: you ought to use Firefox, easier and safer :)
menu Tools to Internet Options
under the general tab, click delete files and use All offline content
THEN come back and click Settings
click View Files
use the <ctl>A to sellect all shown,
and DELete everything

(1) if you're running XP, you have Windows Firewall, located under the Control Panel. Just enable it. {It's not a *complete* firewall, but it will protect you from inbound attacks; it's better than nothing}

(3) Firefox is free & downloadable and it will give you direct control over the History, Cache, Downloads, Saved Passwords. As it *will not* run ActiveX, it is much safer :) As some sites ONLY support IE, you will need it sometimes (eg: MS Windows Update; big surprize!)

Still No Joy

OK so I cleared the cache, and still no joy - :(

I am about to move back to the UK and will have to breakdown my system for shipping, so I may just reinstall windows at the other end and hope that does the trick.

Still at least its running better than before in general terms.

John

If you're still using IE go to
Internet Options
Security
Trusted Sites and add hsbc.co.uk

This may help if you're blocking cookies, although if this is the case I'd expect an error message to this effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back