access points/ networking/ winxp_linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal329

access points/networking/winxp_linux

hey everyone, i have a question, first of all i have a current wireless network at my apartment...

connections:
1 win xp wired to a wireless router
1 redhat 9 wired to a wireless router
1 winxp laptop - wireless

the area of my apartment where i can set up the base and have my computers are is very limited..

i want to leave the base station where it is, and move my wired xp and redhat machines to another room.

my plan is leave my router and cable modem where they are.. easy to hide..

i have another router that can act as an access point (AP)....

i have also bought a wireless card for my winxp pc...

my question is can i run an ethernet wire from my access point to my linux box?

i also asked some belkin expert if i would be able to use a crossover cable directly from my pc to my linux box, he said no it would not work because i would have a wireless connection and a wired connection, which i cannot have..

either way i would just like to be able to go online with my linux box.. im still learning to use linux and im not too sure about putting a wireless network card in that machine yet..

i appreciate any help i can get

Linux only supports a very small number of wireless cards and technologies at the moment, is your hardware linux compatible or not?

to answer your question i doubt it... but would that matter if i just want to use one of the four ports from the access point??? right now the linux machine works fine when its wired to the router...

That's what the ports on the AP are for - connecting things. The ethernet ports in APs are just a switch - it doesn't matter what device you put there. Just make sure you don't try to use the uplink port of the router - that would make things complicated.

The impossibility of a computer having both a wireless and a wired connection is bulls***.

Wha? wired and wireless can't work at the same time? Where'd you hear that? As nodsu said, thats bull...
While most companies don't "support" you using the wired and wireless at the same in conjunction with a crossover, it is very possible to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back