Acer 23" HD monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

has anyone got one of those full HD acer 23" monitors??? are they any good? because full HD for £119 seems pretty damn good to me. :D

That's a pretty new piece, don't be disappointed if you don't garner many testimonials in the forums. Acer's monitors generally have good reputations check this page at Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052 I dunno if this is exactly the model to which you're referring, but there are 414 reviews to pick from.

I believe these new "full hi-def " monitors (1920 x 1080) are 16:9 aspect ratio. a standard WS monitor is 16:10. Consequently, these units are shorter in the vertical than standard. What this boils down to is, a 23" unit would only have as much vertical dimension as perhaps a 21" standard ( 16:10 WS).

nice monitor especially for the price. I want the Sceptre 24" because it has a little higher resolution.

I have one of the Acer 23" with speakers built-in (H233Hbmid) and It is much better than my last monitor. It has a very bright picture by default and mine didn't have a single bad pixel. Before I bought it I had seen some comments about it having bad viewing angles from the side but I haven't noticed it. I chose the one with speakers(even though I don't use them) because it comes in a glossy piano black finish and the buttons are touch sensitive(like a PS3's power and eject buttons) except for the power button. My only gripe is it is a little slow waking from sleep mode, it takes between 4-5 seconds for it to display afters it loads the Acer logo...

Yeah, Well You Shoulda' Seen the Other Guy......

Before I bought it I had seen some comments about it having bad viewing angles from the side but I haven't noticed it.
The clamor for lower priced monitors has "forced" the manufacturers to use "TN" TFT LCD panelsI rather than the much pricier "MVA or IPS" panels. To some extent the reviewer was correct, but quite unfair. TN type panels do not have wide viewing angles of the other types, and they shift density color in an almost bizarre way. But, why beat up on Acer, when everybody elses do exactly the same thing? You can Google those panel types for a better understanding than I can give in a short post.
I chose the one with speakers(even though I don't use them) because it comes in a glossy piano black finish and the buttons are touch sensitive(like a PS3's power and eject buttons) except for the power button.
The new Samsungs have these type buttons as well, and everybody howls about them because you need a flashlight to see them in a darkened room. Glossy black is nice!
My only gripe is it is a little slow waking from sleep mode, it takes between 4-5 seconds for it to display afters it loads the Acer logo...
Here again, I think my Westys take this long too.

I have one of those gloss black samsungs, the 2233BW and as you get off center viewing vertically, it lowers the Kelvin temp a few thousand, and off center horizontally it it 'warms' it a few thounsand. if memory serves, i would have to pay double to aviod that. and have one of them thar ISP panels Captain is mentioning.

The problem with the better types of panels is that they're getting harder and harder to find, even if you have the money and are willing to spend it. Samsung's website was saying that the 30" unit was no longer available. Oh, well I don't have the thousand bucks anyway.

I actually think they might be starting to use TN panels on the smaller TVs also. This due to the viewing angle stats (160 x 160) as opposed to (178 x 178) for MVA or IPS. Woe is us! I think at 37" and above they're probably all the better panels.

I thought I had the same monitor as you but I actually have the 2243BWX. Same s*** but different base (pivot). I like the part when you get far enough off axis they go into something that looks like a color negative. Wow! Freaky! Blow my mind! I thought I'd never find a thread for those archaic "hippieisms", but they fit.

The Samsungs may actually be too bright and I think it aggravates the density shift issue.

Don't want to get too far off topic here, so yeah, the Acers are probably as good as any, so take the plunge. In spite of all the new panels "quirks", it'll likely be way better than what you're using now.

the Samsungs are bright, i personally like that though, i built a system with an Acer recently and it seemed to be top notch for the price, and they get great reviews.

I have a 23" Acer X233Hbid and I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've ever bought...

This monitor is $169.99, today only on Newegg. Need the promo code which you get in your email. I'd get one, but I really wanted 1920x1200 resolution.

@Teklord: Unfortunately out OP, Alster37, gave the approximate price in English Pounds. But, I gotta agree with you, that is an outstanding price.

That monitor is @1920 horizontal, but I suppose the 1080 vertical does necessitate yet another size of wallpaper to fashion.

According to Yahoo currency converter, 119 pounds = 181.81 dollars.

Also, I have the brands mixed up, sorry. The ASUS 1080p monitor 23" is 169.99 today only @ Newegg.com. Promo code for that is EMCLSMN49, you have to enter that to get the discount.

Probably would have kept that to myself if I really wanted that one, but I wanted the higher resolution. If you do some simple math ratios of these cheaper and smaller 1080p monitors are a way better value than these 42" monitors and above that you see.

@Teklord; The difference between 1920 x 1200 and 1920 x 1080 is the aspect ratio. The former is 16;10 and the latter is 16;9. When a new standard TV show is payed back on a 1920 x 1200 monitor, black bands would be apparent top and bottom of the picture, whereas 1920 x 1080 would be full screen.

Essentially I'm with you though, because of what I do with my computer as opposed to what I do with my TV. Because I do a lot of photographic work, the extra height of the 16;10s comes in handy for the display of photos in the "portrait" orientation.

The reason you believe the smaller monitors are a better value is attributable to the TN type panel. On TVs 37" and above, the manufacturers can't get away with TN, and must resort to MVA or better panels.If they started using TN for large TVs they would be darned near unwatchable, save for directly in front, the same as a computer.

I sit close to my TV and/or monitor so the smaller size isn't so terrible when you are saving money. Seems some modern applications like games or photo editing use the 16:10 aspect ratio, so I'm looking more towards those type monitors. My mother has a monitor with 16:10 ratio and she watches HDTV with and the black bands show but I don't think it's a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back