Acer Aspire 5000 15.4" screen replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a bit too harsh on my acer aspire 5000 (I haven't been good about using it at a desk and the finishing blow to the screen was when it slid off my lap onto a tile floor after the screen had already been flickering for about a month) and I ended up damaging the screen to the point where the backlight will turn on, but the LCD part of the screen will not function. I started asking around and took the cover off of the screen to see if it was simply a broken connection or something simple to fix. I noticed that the only electrical connections are two that are at the base of the screen. After talking to a person from geeksquad (even though they don't sell Acers) it sounds like if I could manage to find a 15.4" screen that is compatible with my acer I should be able to replace it myself. However, I'm nervous that I may have not seen a connection that would require some soldering (a technique I have not yet mastered). Has anyone tried anything like this with an acer before, or could the problem possibly be something else that I may have overlooked.

Hello, toret5, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it would be easier for you to just buy a whole new monitor, plus, as you say, a connection could have broken.

I understand that it would be easier for me to just get a new monitor for the computer, I have my old CRT from my outdated desktop that I don't use anymore which is how I'm posting on this forum to begin with. I have just been able to find some replacement lcd screens on ebay and a few other sites for right around $200 which I think is pretty reasonable (considering best buy would charge something like 400-800 not including installation) I'm just figuring that for $200 I'd either be able to get an alright lcd monitor or I could just get the screen for my laptop so that it could be used as a portable computer again which is the original reason that I bought the laptop over a desktop. I am just looking for possible things that could go wrong with my decision since as I have already stated, the computer still works with my old CRT monitor. As for the posting the thread in the wrong forum, it looked like I was posting it in the wrong place, I apologize for any inconvenience.

toret5, i recommend you to search for service manual for your acer. in that manual you'll find the partlist, which contains list of compatible LCD-screeens.
AFAIK, you need a 15.4,30pin,WXGA screen. any of LG-Philips, or AU Optronics will be compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back