Acer captures "world's thinnest notebook" crown with new Swift 7

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The title of world’s thinnest notebook changes hands on a fairly regular basis. The most recent recipient – at least, by its own proclamation – is Acer. If you’re a sucker for razor-thin portables, you’ll certainly want to take a close look at Acer’s latest creation.

The Acer Swift 7 features a 13.3-inch IPS LCD screen operating at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 that’s coated in Corning’s Gorilla Glass. Under the hood is a seventh-generation Intel Core i5-7Y54 processor (two cores, four threads) clocked at 1.20GHz (Turbo up to 3.20GHz), 8GB of LPDDR3 RAM and a 256GB solid state drive.

Other notable specifications include 802.11ac MU-MIMO Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a 1,280 x 720 resolution HDR webcam, two USB 3.1 Type-C ports and a 4-cell, 2,770mAh battery with a maximum runtime of nine hours. It ships with a copy of Windows 10 Home pre-installed, the de facto standard these days.

The Swift 7 measures just 0.39 inches (roughly 9.9mm) thin with an approximate weight of 2.48 pounds. It’s available in just one color scheme – a matte black exterior with gold inner surfaces.

Creating a thin notebook like the Swift 7 isn’t without compromise. As we’ve seen from other manufacturers, amenities such as full-sized USB ports, a dedicated power jack and DisplayPort / HDMI are size prohibitive meaning the two USB 3.1 Type-C ports must wear multiple hats (video-out / charging / peripherals).

The Acer Swift 7 is available as of writing from Acer’s website with a one-year limited warranty for $1,099.99. Acer says additional configurations will be rolling out over the next few weeks.

Permalink to story.

So you'll buy this super thin laptop to then plug multiple adapters, possibly a USB dock, so you can have regular ports, and will get poorer battery life because the thing is too thin to hold a proper sized battery. Why not just buy a laptop with regular ports?

So you'll buy this super thin laptop to then plug multiple adapters, possibly a USB dock, so you can have regular ports, and will get poorer battery life because the thing is too thin to hold a proper sized battery. Why not just buy a laptop with regular ports?

Exactly.

When you have to give up so much basic functionality, the thinness isn't worth it anymore.

Don't understand the craze of making the thinnest while sacrificing functionality.

Of course, some of the customers are also to blame who go crazy over the thinning of substance (while fattening of the cost).

Exactly.

When you have to give up so much basic functionality, the thinness isn't worth it anymore.

I would agree but I have Apple fanboy's knocking on my door every time I mention the lack of ports on Apple products (cough iPhone 7 cough 2016 MacBook). There's a point where a product is already light and thin enough, making it thinner is fine so long as features are not compromised.

FFS stop making **** thinner.

I don't want to carry a crippled, functionally bare, china plate around in my backpack.

I just wonder how it can possibly be rigid enough to stand up to everyday use? Any like point load anywhere on it is bound to bend & probably break it unless they have figured a way to incorporate printed circuit boards into rubber ....... Hey, that's it! We need to develop a "Flex Seal" laptop .... and it will float too!

Exactly.

You're missing the point. This is a very portable device for rich bastards and it looks good when you are sitting in meetings discussing the annual profit forecast. I would love a paper sheet thin like device connecting wirelessly to anything out there. I see it more like a glimpse into the future - hopefully they will unify the ports - I.e. have the same type of ports for charging, video output, etc. Or maybe remove them all together and rely on wireless solutions fully like I said before. And yeah, hopefully they'll remove the 3.5 mm jack too - I am on bluetooth headphones, can't see purpose of it, anyway the bluetooth functionality sits mostly unused. I'd rather have one extra USB port or maybe dual video outputs than the 3.5 mm jack.

Back