Acer launches new collection of Predator Z1 curved monitors

Scorpus

Staff member

Acer has welcomed three curved additions to its Predator line of gaming monitors, all bearing a very solid collection of specifications along with the black and red designs of previous models.

The new Predator Z1 series is mainly separated by size: there are 27- and 31.5-inch 1080p models, along with a 30-inch ultrawide 2560x1080 panel. All of these monitors feature a 1800R curve, which is a stronger than average curve for computer monitors of this size.

As for panel technology, Acer has used VA LCDs for these monitors, which aren't as good as the latest IPS displays in color reproduction but often feature better black levels. With that said, Acer claims that these displays still meet 100% sRGB coverage.

The refresh rate specifications of all three monitors are very impressive. The 30-inch ultrawide model can go as high as 200 Hz with a 4ms response time, while the other two displays come in at 144 Hz. All come with ambient light sensors and Nvidia's G-Sync technology for adaptive refresh rates, which makes the experience even better while gaming.

The Predator Z1 series will "start" at $599 when they hit the market in June, and you could assume that price refers to the 27-inch model. Considering other 27-inch 144 Hz monitors cost around the $300-350 mark, Acer is charging a bit of a premium for features like G-Sync and a curved panel, but that's to be expected.

Image courtesy of CNET

Permalink to story.

No HDR, skip.

FHD doesn't need HDR, and seeing how a 1200Hz clocked GTX 980ti can only pull 90 fps from CoD:BO3, 65 fps from Witcher 3 and 95 fps from Fallout 4, these 1080P monitors won't show their potential with a single video card.

HDR and resolution are two separate things, but HDR's superior, more realistic and more vibrant content happens to be exclusive to 4K resolution. Lower resolutions won't be able to accurately display these improvements.

"Acer is charging a bit of a premium".
A slight understatement if I've ever seen one. It's more like highway robbery to me. $350 for a computer gaming monitor is just plain loco.

HDR and resolution are two separate things, but HDR's superior, more realistic and more vibrant content happens to be exclusive to 4K resolution. Lower resolutions won't be able to accurately display these improvements.

The only "content" I am intrested in, are good games. And afaik, zero games are 4k locked. Also when it comes to movies, my GPU/VLC is perfectly capable of downscaling the movie, while hopefully doing it in HDR, not convert it to 8bit.

Also afaik, none of the actual movies are shot in 4k (16:9) but they all are in 2.35:1 (~21:9) so ... what exactly are you talking about? That we should look massive black borders on 4k monitor in HDR? :D You must be kidding. Actually I am quite puzzled in what resolution are the movies on 4k BluRays... 3840x1634 (when you remove the black borders)? So when looking this on any 21:9 monitor, the picture is never in native resolution, but either upscaled to 5120×2160p or 3440x1440 or downscaled to 2560x1080p.

Last edited:
Back