Acer overtakes Dell in global PC shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Acer's Gateway acquisition positioned it as the world's third-largest PC vendor two years ago. Now, boosted by a 16.6% year-over-year growth in notebook shipments, the company has officially leapfrogged past Dell to take the second spot just behind HP. According to the latest figures from iSuppli, the Taiwanese firm commanded 13.4% of global shipments in Q3 2009, compared to 19.9% for HP and 12.9% for Dell.

Lenovo was the only other company in the top five to see similar growth and actually jumped by a higher 17.2 percent, but remained in fourth place with 6.94 million units shipped. Meanwhile, Dell actually dropped 5.9 percent to ship 10.34 million PCs versus the 10.99 million last year. Rounding out the top five sellers was Toshiba, which grew 9.7 percent from the same period last year with 4.01 million units shipped.

Overall global shipments reached a total of 79.9 million, up 1.1 percent from the 79.1 million units shipped in Q3 2008. That growth was strong enough for iSuppli to revise its forecast for the whole year. Rather than falling by 4% as it previously expected, the company now says 2009 shipments to go down by 0.9% compared to 2008.

Permalink to story.

Finally, someone overtook Dell. I work at Best Buy and almost everyone that comes in states that they have never heard of Acer and that they are some type of off brand. Every time this happens I laugh on the inside, if only they new what a dumb statement that was.

Wow, that must be hard news for Dell to take, I wonder how they will respond to the new rival. I did not like Acer laptops before, but may change my mind about them.

Acer is really flying high....or is this a matter of how much Dell is falling? Either way, this is a most impressive achievement.

very impressive. i bought an Acer before but like moltar said, i also thought they were one of those "off brands" and returned it and bought a dell. of course, this was way back when i was a computer-challenged. what a mistake... no doubt my next purchase will be an Acer.

I have definitely been impressed with some of the Acer products recently so i am not too surprised. Lets hope they don't make the same mistakes Dell has done. Actually i think Dell has made the choice to ship less computers but try to get higher margins as i have found their prices less and less competitive with HP and Acer (particularly in the last year).

BlackIrish said:
Didn't they also buy Toshiba? Maybe that's why they came in second...

No, this is not the reason. The article is listing Toshiba separately at the #5 spot.

This is not bad news for DELL by any means. No offense to you guys, but I am the Senior Engineer at an IT solutions firm in Maryland and must tell you that with respect to build quality, parts and longevity, Acer, Emachines and Gateway are by far the worst manufactures. They each use tier three (lowest grade) PCB boards and compents while DELL, Toshiba, Asus use (Tier 1) components which also explains why their default warranty for hardware is 3 years versus 1 year from Acer. Now, if you are just a bargain shopper and really are not to concerned with high specs, Acer is not a bad option. We have to replace every Acer desktop at a school here in the county with DELL because the school went cheap and bout Acer's that have been nothing but a money pit. Good for our business though, but expensive for the client.

Im quiet surprised since Dell sells a lot of their PC's, servers and laptops to local and federal government, wheres Acer is mostly for home users.

From personal experience working as a Service Tech , Acer is very poor quality. Half their units were faulty right out of the box.

Very happy for Acer, I wonder though how HP stays on top with all the competition in the notebook/netbook market. With the current prices and Acer taking the lead here.

Maybe their quality isn't the better, however is not bad at all. On college I've seen a lot of people working with Acer computers or changing to, the second most I see are compaq.

HP is used by a lot of businesses, which is why it probably takes first place. In terms of personal computing, I think Acer would be ahead by a very large margin over both HP and Dell.

It is really nice to see Acer perform well but will they do something about the quality of their products? I have seen a lot of their laptops with a lot of problems. Whenever a friend asks me to recommend them a laptop I usually tell them to buy anything but Acer or Myria.
Maybe I will change my opinion the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back