Acer Predator X27 Review: 4K 144Hz gaming monitor

I'm still going to hold out on upgrading my monitor, but I wish the designers would aim for something more elegant (even if plastic) than we get with 'gaming' monitors'.

I wouldnt put the cooling fan down as a negative. Way back in the day, I lost both a 1600x1200 monitor and an early 1080p monitor to capacitor failure due to heat. Both got very warm during use, and both suffered the same failure.

When I got a replacement 1600x1200, I put a 80mm fan on the back and cut cooling holes. You would be amazed at the heat that thing put out (It had a ~90 watt PSU, and it was an LCD screen), but with the fan running it never died again, and was my main monitor for a good decade.

I'd rather acer put a fan on this then face heat related failure down the line.

Nobody cares about a 27" gaming monitor..... those have been around for 15 years now. Even the little kids who always wanted a 27" have had them for 5 years or more.

27" monitors are for children and dorm rooms, for people who need to compromise. What about the adult gamers who doesn't have to ask mommy for money..?

27" monitors are for children and dorm rooms, for people who need to compromise. What about the adult gamers who doesn't have to ask mommy for money..?

I don't have to ask mommy for money but $2000 still seems excessive to me.

I have to ask, what would you spend on a monitor?

Nobody cares about a 27" gaming monitor..... those have been around for 15 years now. Even the little kids who always wanted a 27" have had them for 5 years or more.

How's your 17" 1280x1024 monitor treating you?

As someone employed and financially independent, I can't justify dropping $2000 on a monitor either. THOUGH I am interested in 27" gaming monitors; I think are the perfect size for gaming. I'm not a fan of 34" wide screens or anything smaller than 27".

You should give a 27" 2K monitor a shot and see!

What a scammed! Only the naive peeps buying into this rubbish. Really, g-sync hdr why hadn't the feature integrated into the AIB to eliminate the extra monitor cost? Instead of dictating what you should buy, forcing these rubbish down the consumer throat. There's a corporation saying, if you wanted to use our product this is what you should get SUCKER.

"Of course, like with the PG27UQ there is the issue of refresh rate and chroma subsampling. Again I go into a lot more detail in my PG27UQ review, but the basic issue boils down to DisplayPort bandwidth: there’s simply not enough for HDR or SDR content at 4K 144 Hz. Instead, full 4:4:4 RGB is only possible at 4K 120 Hz in the SDR mode, and 4K 98 Hz in the HDR mode."

Honestly.....98hz with full 4:4:4 rgb in hdr? I could game with that for a long while honestly and be fully satisfied. that's plenty of frames for the shear beauty of the image you'd be seeing. also will ULMB work with this setting? if so I think I can skip using gsync or can u run ulmb and gsync at the same time yet?

Reading this review on Mbest 27 in 2k 144hz VA panel Korean monitor which I bought for 300 dollars from ebay :)

It has terrible backlight bleeding which is definitely visible in the dark , but for this price, I don't really care.

To me 4K is worthless for monitors less than 40 inches. You just have to use scaling and defeat the purpose. Maybe if you ONLY play games ... maybe. But I do not know anyone having a powerful PC to only do that. They either have a all purpose PC or just go the console peasant path.

I use 24", 4K for years now, this would be a really nice upgrade if not for the huge cons in terms of DP still not being good enough for 144@4K in this version and that active cooling.
Design? I couldn't care less.
On the other hand, will 2080Ti be the first card capable of reaching at least steady 4K@60 in newer games?

To me 4K is worthless for monitors less than 40 inches. You just have to use scaling and defeat the purpose. Maybe if you ONLY play games ... maybe. But I do not know anyone having a powerful PC to only do that. They either have a all purpose PC or just go the console peasant path.
Agreed. I have a 32 inch (well 31.5 if we're being pedantic) 1440p display which is a good resolution and size for the desktop. Admittedly the 60Hz (well over clocked to 75Hz) could be better but I paid £300 for it two years ago (it is and ACER).
It is amazing how quickly you get used to the screen size - my work machine's 24 inch looks tiny in comparison.

I don't have to ask mommy for money but $2000 still seems excessive to me.

I have to ask, what would you spend on a monitor?

I would spend $3k USD on a 39" 4k OLED monitor at 144hz & match it with whatever Video card that could handle it at whatever price. Done & done...

As someone employed and financially independent, I can't justify dropping $2000 on a monitor either. THOUGH I am interested in 27" gaming monitors; I think are the perfect size for gaming. I'm not a fan of 34" wide screens or anything smaller than 27".

You should give a 27" 2K monitor a shot and see!

?

I own many high end monitors, none to my liking. On day one, (some 3 years ago now?) I got a Predator X34 g-sync for one of my gaming rigs. I have several.

It is a wide-screen for gaming at 3440 x 1440 and has been driven by 3 different video cards since I've bought it (980, 980ti, 1080). I will be buying a 2080 for that monitor, because I know I can have a steady 120+ frames at 3440 x 1440.

I also have another rig, with a Vega 64 liquid cooled Video Card attached to a 32" Samsung QLED gaming (C32HG70), which is a better aspect ratio for certain games at 2560 x 1440 @ 100hz. I will be getting a new Vega128 for that Monitor this Holiday season, when AMD releases those 7nm cards in 3 months time.

I have another older system, with a hand me down 980ti running a 1ms 2560 x 1440 for FPS gaming and clan play. And lastly, a Samsung QLED TV, with my Xbox and Netflix.

I just want better monitor choices for gaming, such as a 39" 4k OLED @ 144hz... anyone?

2K wow for a computer monitor for gaming.. I have ACER monitors here two 23" LED 1080P and 27" LED 1080P. I am find with that setup. I haven't yet to get into 4K, 8K, 16K whatever they're up too today. When everything is UHDTV then I'll make the purchases but for right now 1080i OTA/CATV/SATV with some 1080P online is just fine now. Since these UHDTV can up convert HDR or Dolby Vision chips to wonders today. I seen 31 on sale at Costco for $199 made by Samsung Curve Monitor. Right now on 40-inch LCD 1080P made by SONY sure has the best picture right out of the box. To me what we all really need is what we're all using at the moment. Sure everything sold is 4K then you going have to buy it. If your still on 1080i/1080p then your okay then.

Update: I have had my EVGA Black RTX2080 for 4 months now, it is pushing my 3+ year old Acer Predator X34 G-sync. And I find it sad, that after 3 years of owning an 3440 x 1440p (@100hz) monitor, that the RTX2080 is not enough to push the X34 100frames stable (ie:120fps+) in most of my games. Usually at 80fps.

That said^, for me the rtx2080 was a good purchase, given my situation. My monitor got such a boost... though, not as much as I was hoping for being sub 4k.

Back