Acer TA272 HUL All-in-One Review: Android Invades the Desktop

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/805-acer-ta272-hul-android-aio/]https://www.techspot.com/review/805-acer-ta272-hul-android-aio/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I would love to have one of those to use primarily as a PC monitor, with the ability to switch over to Android and run ComicRack. I don't think I'm going to pay $1k for a 27" Android tablet any time soon, though. Also, for that price maybe it should have like 64 GB of internal storage. I disagree with the reviewer that it perhaps should have run ChromeOS, because the fact that ChromeOS even exists boggles me and I will never understand why ChromeBooks don't just run Android. 4.4 would be better than 4.2, but maybe we'll see CyanogenMod on it at some point.

With as many years as Windows had behind it, evolving into the modern OS, Chrome OS on a desktop is a cheap hackery by comparison.

Well I had to look up a price of the beast without its android bits. $910 on amazon. Which means $200 for some phone parts.

Like others I am lost to its practicality. I mean for starters touch screen monitors are for children. And should I ever have children they will be born without fingers, so I dont get fingerprints over my monitor. I don't want smeary marks on my stuff, especially something where visuals are key, watching pewdiepie on youtube, or playing games from my latest humble bundle.

So now IMO you have a pointless overpriced monitor with its windows 8 craptastic abilities. Ah see, thats whats happened. They were like omg windows 8, touch screen, should be on a mobile device, lets put the mobile in the touchscreen and do away with a crap o/s. Only to land on a bit of another fail. Basically its a 27 inch tablet thats propped up. So is $1100 too pricey for a tablet ? And why is it not a phablet ? Why not be able to stick a sim card in to take phone calls, face calls, etc. Something this huge should have an array of slots for options and optionals.

Who would pay $1100 for an AIO with an outdated version of Android, only 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage, and a dating and weak Tegra 4 CPU... that is just a disaster on Acers part. Why put a 2560x1440P display in an under-specced machine?

Of all the Linux Distro's out there why use Android?. they must have done a focus group where it was discovered that consumers were willing to put down big bucks for a half baked desktop experience. Having the app store available is great and with no steep learning curve also a plus, the novelty will wear off when the realities of Androids short comings on the desktop crystallize. I predict Kijiji will be full of these turkeys in no time

"All things considered, I have to commend Acer for even attempting such an undertaking. Putting Android on a desktop system may have seemed like a good idea on paper but from a practical standpoint, it falls way short. "

Honestly, no it wasn't a good idea on paper. I cannot think of a reason for anyone to buy this.

Who would pay $1100 for an AIO with an outdated version of Android, only 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage, and a dating and weak Tegra 4 CPU... that is just a disaster on Acer's part. Why put a 2560x1440P display in an under-specced machine?
That's what I'm questioning, the only value to this machine is the high resolution display but on an android device makes very little sense. I mean I am fine with Android trying to make desktop machines, but you have to make it actually a desktop and not a Tablet with a giant screen...

This device makes very little sense and I doubt there will be many adopters at that price point. Maybe at 500-750 I could see a few and while I understand the screen is worth a pretty penny, I would rather buy a 2560x1440p screen for my windows desktop than buy this device.

Thats what im questioning, the only value to this macine is the high resolution display but on an android device makes very little sense. I mean I am fine with Android trying to make desktop machines, but you have to make it actually a desktop and not a Tablet with a giant screen...

This device makes very little sense and I doubt there will be many adopters at that price point. Maybe at 500-750 I could see a few and while I understand the screen is worth a pretty penny, I would rather buy a 2560x1440p screen for my windows desktop than buy this device.
You can build a $500 PC that is at least 3x as powerful xD.

Price is insane, but then, 27 inch 1440p touchscreen monitors are costly. At 1100, its prob best thought of as $900 for the monitor and $100 for the android hardware (tegra 4, ram, and storage and other associated stuff) and the $100 for the conveniece (or inconvenience, depending on your pov) of having it all in one package.

I'll personally stick with a non touch 1440p monitor for my windows box and separate tablet for android.

Always great to see more alternatives to Windows... possibly a version 2 or 3.0 of the same AIO system would be more capable for day to day tasks, but otherwise agreed that this is not it.

As the author pointed it out reaching behind to connect any thing at all is not a very happy experience. This was and still is a problem with desktop PCs. Until Compaq/HP came out with a front USB ports. Even then there are generally nor more than 2 ports available. I found my own solution to this some 12 years ago. I built a 10 pin berg header connected to a 10 core flat cable and made an extension for the standard 2 port USB header for the back panel. Just cut out one of the CD rom slot cover and fitted it to be accessible from the front. Many times I would just go out and buy 2 - 3 usb extensions, have then permanently connected at the back and bring them out in front for easy accessibility.
But then this was when there were no USB port powered external drives around.

I have an Android base mini PC which generally rocks in performance and is connected through a 4 port KVM switch so I have full fledged standard pc keyboard and mouse available to me. How ever I DO miss the right click context menu. One of the reasons I don't like Apple with a single button mouse.

Is android OS for desktop available for download?
while I don't have a touchscreen monitor, I'd love to experience android desktop OS.

Back