Acer unveils world's first G-Sync monitor with an IPS panel

Shawn Knight

Staff member

acer ces acer nvidia ips ces gaming display monitor panel screen g-sync ces 2015 xb270hu xg270hu

Acer at CES has unveiled a new monitor that brings together a set of features that many have been clamoring for in a G-Sync enabled display.

The XB270HU, one of two new monitors announced by Acer (the other is the XG270HU), is a 27-inch affair sporting a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440. But it’s not the resolution alone that has the gaming community excited as this is the first display to combine Nvidia’s G-Sync technology with a coveted IPS display.

As you may know, IPS panels are preferred over standard TN films due to their superior color reproduction and 178-degree viewing angles.

acer ces acer nvidia ips ces gaming display monitor panel screen g-sync ces 2015 xb270hu xg270hu

It gets better still as the XB270HU features an extremely high refresh rate of 144Hz with a response time of 1ms. While Acer didn’t detail the connectivity of the monitor, we do know that it comes with an ErgoStand that allows for tilt, swivel and height adjustments.

The XG270HU, meanwhile, is nearly identical to the XB270HU as it is also a 27-incher with a 2,560 x 1,440 resolution and 144Hz refresh rate. The key difference is the fact that it doesn’t ship with the desirable IPS display nor is it equipped with G-Sync technology.

Both displays are slated to ship in March 2015 although Acer failed to provide a price point for either. I suspect the IPS-equipped monitor will cost a pretty penny but with any luck, perhaps it won’t be priced out of the reach of the non-one percent.

Permalink to story.

Wow, first monitor I've seen for a while that would be a worthy upgrade.... hopefully it's under $400 though.

Still getting along with my 24" 1080 ASUS TN panel, does the job good enough for me.

Its actually a AHVA monitor. Similar to IPS. But not the same. Still awesome.

Nah. It'll be too expensive for my taste besides TN and 1080p is still more than good enough for games as far as I'm concerned.

Meh. A gimmick to make them more expensive. Just add DP 1.3 to them and be done with that g-sync nonsense. make nvidia support freesync.

Meh. A gimmick to make them more expensive. Just add DP 1.3 to them and be done with that g-sync nonsense. make nvidia support freesync.

Translation:
nVIDIA should spend money developing high end products I can actually afford, so I don't make myself look silly calling their products gimmicks when 9.9 out of 10 people that have actually got to spend time with G-Sync say otherwise!

Translation:
nVIDIA should spend money developing high end products I can actually afford, so I don't make myself look silly calling their products gimmicks when 9.9 out of 10 people that have actually got to spend time with G-Sync say otherwise!
it's not about if it works or not. it's about the fact that it's an extra that is not needed anymore. it did it's job. similar to mantle from AMD. it should be easy for nvidia to enable freesync on future products.

Back